• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Scandalli Model

Technical

Reaction score
I've acquired a 120 bass Scandalli which says M 908/56 on it, is that the serial number or model and date, Im guessing the former. Also, any idea what the big rectangular button by the bass buttons is? I've seen a model with 2 buttons which I assume is for different registers but no idea for this one.
20241016_130301.jpg

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20241016_130301.jpg
    20241016_130301.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
On an Accordiana I owned, such a button was used to change register selection between master and tenor. Each time the button is pressed, the register changed to the other choice.

On an Accordiana I owned, such a button was used to change register selection between master and tenor. Each time the button is pressed, the register changed to the other choice.
I tried to do research on bass registers but info seems limited. Is master the normal and Tenor is shifting the pitch up? I'm guessing it has 4 reed blocks.

I've acquired a 120 bass Scandalli
Read this past thread 🙂:

Might be the model number then, that looks like an older version of mine.
Does it seem like it is a 3 or 4 Reed bass, I was thinking 4 because it has 4 different dot positions in total but actually the middle one only has 3.
20241016_130318.jpg

3 or 4 Reed bass,
It looks like a 3-reed treble to me.🤔
There are 4-reed models made, but they generally have more treble couplers than this one does.🙂
Two of the couplers are confusing, appearing to show LMH and LMM without there being an LMMH, unless there's also a palm switch along the edge of the keyboard (can't see in the photo)🤫
If there's a palm switch, you likely have a four-voice LMMH. 🙂

Last edited:
Another old thread:

My accordion knowledge is still developing but it confused me too.

Is this the palm switch you were talking about? Never even noticed it until I started to search after what you said. Seems to reset the switches so I'm guessing that's the master? What a strange arrangement. Does that mean this is 4 Reed?
20241017_023423.jpg

Well I'm enjoying the learning process! I'm guessing the idea is it makes it easy to quickly switch to the master while playing. Still trying to get my head around the bass switch but will hopefully make sense if I play around with it enough.

I am finding that some reeds are not playing as expected for certain treble notes, particularly when either pulling or pushing the bellows e.g. L sounds on the F but not the H. I'm hoping using the master and switching back to another switch might loosen things up and it's not going to be a repair job but we will see.

Still trying to get my head around the bass switch
The bass register switch is a two position (master/tenor) which changes from the one position to the alternate each time you hit it: saves having two separate switches.
Quite common among Scandalli (among other) accordions.🙂

You hav what is called a Scandalli Brevette. I own one as well:
Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 6.26.09 AM.png
What I find a little different is the change of the font that yours uses. I have not seen that font on Brevettes in the past, I assume yours is from a later year, perhaps late 70's early 80's.

The long "switch" on the bass side is the master register. Mine is a 4/4 meaning 4 right hand reeds and 4 on the left hand. I was the original owner of this one from 1968 to1974.

EDIT: Looking at yours, the fewer right hand registers, the 3 dots instead of four you may have a 3/3 or 3/4 reed design.

Screenshot 2024-10-17 at 6.35.33 AM.png

In 1974 I moved to a Hohner Morino VI N and the Brevette moved to my Aunt. February 2023 the accordion came back to me.

It's a fairly light accordion and if in good condition, has an excellent sound. I used it in the making of one of my videos.

Last edited:
Thank you so much, so much good information! It's weird to own instruments which may be older than yourself.

That sounds great in the video, I like the fact you change sound. It definitley has a premium feel and sound compared to my Chinese 72 bass (although I like that one too) but I wouldn't say significantly heavier given the size difference. It has rounded keys which is nice too. One thing I do like about the 72 bass though is 20mm keys where as this is 19/18mm I believe so taking abit of getting use to with my thick fingers.

So the 2 bass switches basically just half the sound but the 2 sound different because they are differrent sets of reeds?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why they would duplicate the first and last 2 switches on mine i.e. L and H. It would have been nice to have a MM switch as it seems common and it's one of my favourites.

3 reeds could do musette, but it then becomes a very different and stylized instrument, you have to love Musette to make that sacrifice on 3 reeds. It would also sacrifice at least half of your reed choices now.

Back