• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Taking the plunge, Roland FR-4xb

Yes, as a hobbyist I couldn't justify the 8xb. But I do feel I need a full size instrument.

Reactions: RTW
Re 4XB:
My two pennorth: If you can, hold on to the FR1XB for now .
I wish I did.

Congrats Mitch, I love my fr4. Saved my marriage 🤣🤣 among other things. If the price is the same at Kraft as Sweetwater, I say get the Mathis sounds while you’re at it. You can always tweak it yourself or get the Noel sounds if you want.

As debra says: " In that case, buy an accordion! (and not an accordion-shaped synthesizer of sorts)."

Regards
RTW

As debra says: " In that case, buy an accordion! (and not an accordion-shaped synthesizer of sorts)."

Regards
RTW
We need both. I mean, variety is the spice of life! Why, for example not just buy a melodeon? Who needs more than one key or 13 notes? Why LLMMH? Isn’t M good enough? But I digress…..

I've had my 1xb for years and just last week pulled up some of the "orchestral" sounds for the first time. They're so cheesy! :)

And get it serviced where?
All you have listed is a US flag... There are many places in the US that service acoustic accordions. (Many have been mentioned on this forum already.) I would not be surprised if there were many more places servicing acoustic accordions than places that service a Roland V-Accordion.

I am curious, why does Debbie troll the digital accordion section just to tell everyone why digital accordions suck?

Last edited:
Depends where you are located.
Let's say I spend $10k-$20k on an acoustic instrument. Which is to say, not happening. But it breaks or needs tuning. Where do I send it in the USA? Shipping will cost hundreds of dollars. I know that from selling keyboards. Where do I ship it, how much are the repairs?

Not something affordable in the US.

Let's say I spend $10k-$20k on an acoustic instrument. Which is to say, not happening. But it breaks or needs tuning. Where do I send it in the USA? Shipping will cost hundreds of dollars. I know that from selling keyboards. Where do I ship it, how much are the repairs?

Not something affordable in the US.

Are you living in a fantasy world where electronics never fail, or do you have a competent technician nearby?

I have been called many things, but never Debbie... (De Bra is my last name and "debra" has been my username on many computers and sites for the past 40 years.)
And I didn't tell everyone (why) digital accordions suck.
Mitchnc stated "I think accordion is the greatest musical instrument ever invented." and that is why I gave him the advice to buy an acoustic accordion. I did not include any qualitative comment about digital accordions at all.
Digital accordions do not suck at all. They are wonderful and versatile instruments. But they are not accordions, so if you want to play them because "the accordion is the greatest musical instrument ever invented" they are not such a great idea...
I have been meaning to buy an FR4xb in order to try to tweak it so it produces a believable accordion sound matching that of some of my acoustic accordions, but alas I have not been able to find a used FR4xb for the amount of money I think it's worth and the amount I'm willing to pay for it (considering it is now 8 year old technology).

Back