• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Understanding bass clef notation?

• Thread starter Thread starter aaronishappy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Donn, don't forget the saxophone is a transposed instrument. A Bb sax will have to play in that key if it wants to match the band playing in C.

Glenn said:
Donn, dont forget the saxophone is a transposed instrument. A Bb sax will have to play in that key if it wants to match the band playing in C.
<FONT font=Garamond><SIZE size=125><COLOR color=#0040FF>This thread is really getting off-topic, as Pippa said. But a Bb sax (such as a tenor or soprano saxophone) playing music written in 5 flats will end up sounding in 7 flats (C flat major), or in the enharmonic 5 sharps (B major). In order to play music in concert C, the Bb sax plays music written in D.

Glenn, I didn't know you played saxophone! I play Bb tenor, Eb baritone and occasionally Bb bass saxophones. And used to play Bb bass clarinet and contrabass clarinet, and Eb contrabass clarinet, but for those instruments and the bass sax a concert pitch bass clef part for some other instrument was more common. And I play Bb and Eb tuba, and a little Bb bass trombone, all concert pitch instruments, and dabbled in the bassoon which might be considered an F instrument but would guess most who play it aren't aware of this. So ... I'm not sure why it came up, but yeah, I did become aware at some point that the sax is by convention a transposing instrument.

Thanks everyone for your help... Though all this talk of phyrgian scales and keys saxophones play in has gone a little over my head :) However a better understanding of scales and music theory is something I should work. My knowledge of reading and understanding theory only goes as far as your standard major and minor scales...

I must be brief, but here goes: Hava Nagila is a tune in the freygish mode. If the first chord is E major, then the 3 chords mostly used are E major, A minor, and D minor. And there should be no accidentals in the key signature. Its hard to explain in a few sentences.
Heres a link to a sample of an arrangement I made for the accordion: Hava Nagila
It is in D Freygish, but its the same. I played this song with a band in the movie, The Sitter. That was an experience.

Good luck!
[/size][/font][/quote]

Great, thanks. Is there a full version for this? Or just any full version for Hava Nagilah on the accordion with the appropriate sheet music? Another thing Ive encountered is accordion sheet music that shows the notation for the treble clef, but for the bass it simply states the chords above the relevant bar. I get for players who are good they will have no problem placing the bass notes in correct conjunction with the treble clef, but I suppose all thats really needed to be done is to look at the time signature and work out how many bass notes would then be in said bar and try to play them accordingly? I dont know. Either way, full version of Hava Nagilah with both treble and bass would be appreciated! The piano version I posted in my OP doesnt sound very good. Well not yet anyways, I havent tried learning that much and I dont want to invest time into it because Im sure there are better more relevant versions. Im dying to learn this properly, Ive been wanting to know how to play it on the accordion before I even started learning accordion!

<FONT font=Garamond><SIZE size=125><COLOR color=#0040FF>Aaron (and anyone else here) - send me a message through my website - http://www.oliveblossoms.com and Ill be happy to send you a file. Though you might have to wait a day until I find it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back