• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

What is a Jazz Accordionist anyway?

Well, a business card that said something like "Accordion Jazz" would set a tone that diverged from stereotypes of "Beer Barrel Polka," if that's the concern. But then one will need to deliver the music and ambience held out by the card, flier, or self-description.

Joking aside, whether the jazz accordionist is playing Django swing, mid-century Frank Marocco style, avant post-bop, Ornette Coleman-style Free Jazz, or whatever--serious jazz accordionists like Richard Galliano aren't playing jazz to get a classier image. They're playing jazz because that is the music that floats their boat, the music that called to them in terms of why they got into the whole musician thing. They don't declaim that they're not oom-pah accordionists, they just get on with it.

Real, actual jazz is very difficult and demanding to play credibly. But one doesn't need true jazz chops to work up a repertoire of a couple/few dozen very atmospheric pieces that evokes a certain ambience and stays far away from obnoxious stereotypes. Not anyone can play jazz, but anyone can play "jazzy" selections. And one can work up a self-presentation to complement that roster of performance pieces, including one's card logo, etc. Vintage clothing always helps. Don't forget the haberdashery--Beret, fedora, etcetera. That is what people like Dan Newton and his Cafe Accordion Orchestra do. They are far from the sole example. A casual individual player can do the same.

It helps if one's repertoire comes out of their own affinities rather than out of a wish to avoid a stereotype. When I play out I'm playing what drew me to play the accordion-French musette, klezmer, Balkan, gypsy, tango, etc. I've never gigged wearing anything but vintage clothing. I also do trad from a couple branches of the Celtic family in separate settings related to those traditions. Blue jeans for sessions with other Irish/Scottish maniacs, vintage splendor for gigs.
Very good points Ouiga! When I look through the Arrigo Tomasi lists there are a few I already play and some I recognize and would like to. For a while I had “Italian Music and More” which also sets a bit of a tone. Maybe “Accordion Music, Not Just Polkas!”

Nice thought and sincere best wishes- but for sure, guaranteed, beyond any doubt, if you're going to put "Jazz Standards" and "Reeds player" on a card they're going to think you are a sax player with a clarinet double...

The description on the card is technically accurate but referring to coffee as "bean soup" would also be technically on the mark for a food establishment.

Set the free reeds truly free, don't shrink, and stand tall for your <our> instrument!

Nice thought and sincere best wishes- but for sure, guaranteed, beyond any doubt, if you're going to put "Jazz Standards" and "Reeds player" on a card they're going to think you are a sax player with a clarinet double...

The description on the card is technically accurate but referring to coffee as "bean soup" would also be technically on the mark for a food establishment.

Set the free reeds truly free, don't shrink, and stand tall for your <our> instrument!
Thanks Henry! Maybe since my audience is alll Wisconsin/Chicago people with a certain background, maybe “Accordion Music…Not Just Polkas!” really does make sense. What do you think?

Maybe"Music, from the smoky bar to the beer tent. 41 keys and 120 buttons and uses 'em all."

(why I'm limited to entertaining the cats.)
Hmmmm, thanks but how about, “120 buttons and uses 10 or 12 of the middle ones.” 😊

I, as you know, am all over the map in my music choices. I sit there of an eve (just came in) noodling away to whatever takes my fancy from Gershwin to Mozart- and that by a pretty tortuous path. I generally wave to folks who may stop and stare- probably wishing they'd packed a rotten egg or two on their walk, I'm about 60 feet from the sidewalk, a longish throw for an egg...- but do not accede to requests for the Beer Barrel Polka or When the Saints. "Whiskey Your the Devil" is an exception to policy which I play at the drop of a hat since I like the tune and the spirit behind it.

I do take requests from chilfdren in strollers and on bikes with training wheels. They get selections of choice from the Wizard of Oz, assorted Disney Princess laments and arias, and -the clear winners much to my surprise- The Pongo Song (Bingo for you traditionalists); "There was a dog who had some spots..." and the one which acutally generated a spontaneous chorus of strangers to include the parents and two adult passersby completely unknown to me a few nights ago, "Gaston." A great tune.

I don't even remotely contemplate doing vocals.

Were I trying to market myself I believe I'd switch to mowing lawns...

I, as you know, am all over the map in my music choices. I sit there of an eve (just came in) noodling away to whatever takes my fancy from Gershwin to Mozart- and that by a pretty tortuous path. I generally wave to folks who may stop and stare- probably wishing they'd packed a rotten egg or two on their walk, I'm about 60 feet from the sidewalk, a longish throw for an egg...- but do not accede to requests for the Beer Barrel Polka or When the Saints. "Whiskey Your the Devil" is an exception to policy which I play at the drop of a hat since I like the tune and the spirit behind it.

I do take requests from chilfdren in strollers and on bikes with training wheels. They get selections of choice from the Wizard of Oz, assorted Disney Princess laments and arias, and -the clear winners much to my surprise- The Pongo Song (Bingo for you traditionalists); "There was a dog who had some spots..." and the one which acutally generated a spontaneous chorus of strangers to include the parents and two adult passersby completely unknown to me a few nights ago, "Gaston." A great tune.

I don't even remotely contemplate doing vocals.

Were I trying to market myself I believe I'd switch to mowing lawns...
That’s great Henry!!! Whiskey You’re the Devil, have to look that one up…..

Wow that’s some tricky singing and piping, thanks!

well. i will lightly drop into this discussion, but
limited specifically toward the "Winery" gigs

as background, i have played the Winery circuit
for over 30 years, including Sonoma area on numerous vacations
to the west coast, and the Finger Lakes area as well as the Onieda
(for Rose, of course) and of course the local Maryland wineries, most
often for my friends out the Liberty Road..

i was a Poster Boy for Wine in the Woods, and performed dozens
of times at the Maryland Wine Festival

i performed many years for the University Alumni association at Monticello
for the yearly Wine tasting and Scholarship presentation

what Winery's seek to create is atmosphere,
then they seek to enhance uniqueness enough to be a Destination,
then they want a comfortable and interesting environment which
allows people io relax, stay awhile..

these things equal not only sales, but loyal customers who return
again and again, for years, for decades..

therefore, a Musician must be flexible, aware, and able to support
these goals with a wide range of music as well as the control to
be in the background when necessary, but ready to take over
the show when needed

now to start, i have walked into many Vineyards first as a tourist/customer,
then if i liked the place and the people there seemed the right sort,
went out to the Van and walked back in with an accordion slung over
my shoulder and my stool in my hand, then set myself in some
appropriate spot and gently wafted some Music into the ether..

(tip: most Vineyards have a link to a region or type of Grape in Europe,
and this dictates the musical theme to some degree)

i have never been asked to stop, or leave, and most times have been
treated with the greatest access and friendship, which was my
specific goal (as a tourist) to get my Wife the most amazing experiences
in the Vineyards by association. Obviously eventual Gigs or offers to
help with some special event would come out of this too. We have
many fond memories of the caves at the German winery in Sonoma
and the great cavernous warehouses of the "Godfather" with the endless
barrels of Wine sleeping sleeping..

the whole trick is to float that layer of sound gently throughout
the tasting room, the patio, the Barn, so that it adds to the flavor,
but never is a distraction, nor ever requires anyone to raise their
voice to be heard.. your function here is to simply make people
smile, feel they are special (very few places have music like THIS)
and if possible to add to the European Regional connection the Vintner
is trying to channel

the next position, during destination events when there are tents and
vineyard tours and all hands are on deck as well as local "cosplay"
actors who may be hired as Frenchly dressed pretty maids and servers..
YOU must be prepared to BE the show, to take total control
at times to keep people from ennui while they wait for the next
"Presentation" or round of tasting or walking tours scheduled..

you are always part of the reason people simply stay longer

i hope these insights will help some of you score similar experiences

well. i will lightly drop into this discussion, but
limited specifically toward the "Winery" gigs

as background, i have played the Winery circuit
for over 30 years, including Sonoma area on numerous vacations
to the west coast, and the Finger Lakes area as well as the Onieda
(for Rose, of course) and of course the local Maryland wineries, most
often for my friends out the Liberty Road..

i was a Poster Boy for Wine in the Woods, and performed dozens
of times at the Maryland Wine Festival

i performed many years for the University Alumni association at Monticello
for the yearly Wine tasting and Scholarship presentation

what Winery's seek to create is atmosphere,
then they seek to enhance uniqueness enough to be a Destination,
then they want a comfortable and interesting environment which
allows people io relax, stay awhile..

these things equal not only sales, but loyal customers who return
again and again, for years, for decades..

therefore, a Musician must be flexible, aware, and able to support
these goals with a wide range of music as well as the control to
be in the background when necessary, but ready to take over
the show when needed

now to start, i have walked into many Vineyards first as a tourist/customer,
then if i liked the place and the people there seemed the right sort,
went out to the Van and walked back in with an accordion slung over
my shoulder and my stool in my hand, then set myself in some
appropriate spot and gently wafted some Music into the ether..

(tip: most Vineyards have a link to a region or type of Grape in Europe,
and this dictates the musical theme to some degree)

i have never been asked to stop, or leave, and most times have been
treated with the greatest access and friendship, which was my
specific goal (as a tourist) to get my Wife the most amazing experiences
in the Vineyards by association. Obviously eventual Gigs or offers to
help with some special event would come out of this too. We have
many fond memories of the caves at the German winery in Sonoma
and the great cavernous warehouses of the "Godfather" with the endless
barrels of Wine sleeping sleeping..

the whole trick is to float that layer of sound gently throughout
the tasting room, the patio, the Barn, so that it adds to the flavor,
but never is a distraction, nor ever requires anyone to raise their
voice to be heard.. your function here is to simply make people
smile, feel they are special (very few places have music like THIS)
and if possible to add to the European Regional connection the Vintner
is trying to channel

the next position, during destination events when there are tents and
vineyard tours and all hands are on deck as well as local "cosplay"
actors who may be hired as Frenchly dressed pretty maids and servers..
YOU must be prepared to BE the show, to take total control
at times to keep people from ennui while they wait for the next
"Presentation" or round of tasting or walking tours scheduled..

you are always part of the reason people simply stay longer

i hope these insights will help some of you score similar experiences
Thanks Ventura, good advice as usual!

If you are a CEO, even if it is for a small company, you are a CEO and an entrepreneur. Doesn't matter if you are not as big as Bill Gates, the title still applies.
If you are a doctor, doesn't matter if you are just starting and have only 4 patients yet as opposed to a big shot who is a super established doctor - you are a doctor.

By the same token, if one is an accordionist and plays jazz and improvises and identifies with jazz, who could say they can't call themselves a jazz accordionist or an accordionist who plays jazz? Just because there are others who are better and more established? Jazz is not a rich country club with tests and barriers and requirements and pretentious patrons and limited positions. It's JUST a musical genre.

Accordionist: “I play accordion.”
Prospective Admirer: “Oh my, polka, lederhosen, Weird Al, spilled beer, see ya…”

Accordionist: “I play jazz.”
Prospective Admirer: “Oh my, intellectual, knows all 12 keys, cosmic, buy me a drink?”

What if the accordionist just SAYS he plays jazz but still plays the same music in the same way, (chorus, improvise, etc.), maybe dropping some of the obvious like Beer Barrel, and adding Take Five or Misty?

Get a business card and YouTube that says “Accordion Jazz” or “Accordion Jazz and More.” Would that make it easier to get restaurant, cocktail and winery type gigs? Get more respect?

Asking for a friend…..
Saying you are a Jazz accordionist is like saying you drive a Chevy instead of a Ford. People will still think of it as a pickup truck, some will like it, some won't.

If he's in the restpect business, better to work on being a GOOD accordionist in whatever genre. Heck Walter Ostanek made millions off being "The Polka King"... lol

If you want to work, you need to do what EVERY popular accordionist that is gigging successfully does:
- Get good, put in the time and practice
- KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE
- GIVE THEM WHAT THEY LIKE

It's no easier than that!

A great example is me... I don't care what "they" like, I play what I want and can concentrate on making me happy, and don't care if I gig or not. :)

Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice! Based on input I think I will not go with jazz at this point. Probably best not to include a genre since, like many, I am going to play what I want regardless, I may as well go with something open, with a nod to my area.

Maybe simply “Tom _. Accordion…..Not just polkas!”

And you’re right, always working to improve with practice, song choice, presentation, etc is necessary. At my age I will never be “best” but I can be “better” (than I am). Thanks and any other advice is always welcome!

We're a tight-knit dying group. Go ask 100 Americans who the best accordionist in the world is right now. When they can't answer ask them who the best accordionist of all-time was? When they can't name one, ask them to name any accordionist.

95 will answer Weird Al Yankovic. The other 5 will ask what an accordion is.

A great example is me... I don't care what "they" like, I play what I want and can concentrate on making me happy, and don't care if I gig or not. :)
Except that it should have been in all caps, I whole heartedly concur.

(That and an increasingly large quantity of money will get you a cup of coffee.)

Reactions: Tom
And to those who do love to play for others, and to gig as a means of emplyment, more power to you.
I did my time playing for the public, started performing before I was of legal age to drink... lol

It's nice and has it's palce, but its not my first priorirty at this stage of my life when discussing my music.

I did my time playing for the public, started performing before I was of legal age to drink... lol

It's nice and has it's palce, but its not my first priorirty at this stage of my life when discussing my music.
Me too Jerry. Lugging my Cordovox amp up steps to a restaurant at 16 years old is not something I want to relive. I want one gig a week at a nice outdoor patio and I do NOT want to take requests.

Back