• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Wheezing keys: Columbus, Ohio USA

This is rather cryptic !๐Ÿ˜„
Could you, please, elaborate somewhat?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ™‚
It's a 96 bass Elio Gabbanelli made to order for me in Italy in 2005. If you reverse bellows direction, when playing the lower keys up to next octave C it wheezes, most prevalent on Bassoon Reed. It is musette tuned.

If you reverse bellows direction, when playing the lower keys up to next octave C it wheezes,
We have several members with considerable technical experience.
Hopefully we'll hear from them soon!๐Ÿ™‚
In the meantime, some pictures of your accordion could be helpful?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ™‚

Last edited:
First of all we don't know what you mean by "wheezing".
Maybe you can record a short video of what is going on and that gives us at least a minute chance of making a diagnosis.
Any undefined sound the low notes make on push can be caused by the leathers, but also by an issue with the positioning of the reeds, failing wax (unlikely in an accordion this young), an unwanted resonance somewhere...
Accordion repair is not unlike the work of an on-line vet who needs to guess what's wrong with an animal without the animal able to speak and without physical access to the animal... But at least in accordion repair it is possible to take pictures of the inside of the instrument.

1: lower, larger reeds need more air

any defect that can bleed away some % of the air flow could cause your problem,
even something like your main bellows gaskets, which can seem tight during
squeeze "in", but can seep a bit when the accordion is "pulled apart"

where the wheeze is opposite that, i have also seen entire sections of
reeds that had a wax fracture where the edge lifted on a section from
air pressure, then closed back somewhat when the air pulled them back tight

It's a 96 bass Elio Gabbanelli made to order for me in Italy in 2005. If you reverse bellows direction, when playing the lower keys up to next octave C it wheezes, most prevalent on Bassoon Reed. It is musette tuned.

Maybe you can record a short video of what is going on and that gives us at least a minute chance of making a diagnosis.
Any undefined sound the low notes make on push can be caused by the leathers, but also by an issue with the positioning of the reeds, failing wax (unlikely in an accordion this young), an unwanted resonance somewhere...
Accordion repair is not unlike the work of an on-line vet who needs to guess what's wrong with an animal without the animal able to speak and without physical access to the animal... But at least in accordion repair it is possible to take pictures of the inside of the instrument.
Thanks! I can't do it now, but I will take of video of it played, and I assume the inside, showing the treble Reed blocks.

We have several members with considerable technical experience.
Hopefully we'll hear from them soon!๐Ÿ™‚
In the meantime, some pictures of your accordion could be helpful?๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ™‚
I took video of me playing the lower keys and reversing bellows. Unfortunately, my phone won't attach it even though it is only 13 sec. In meantime here is picture of section of reed block with leathers not flush.

Attachments

• IMG_20240806_141053378.jpg
    IMG_20240806_141053378.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240806_141059415.jpg
    IMG_20240806_141059415.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 21
Thanks Debra. That eliminates that . I'm going to get some technical help on my video. As soon as i can do that, I will send it to you.

Hi. Apparently this forum will not accept videos. I received a message to that effect
Do you have an e-mail that I can send the video of me playing?

Suggestion: Put your video in personal cloud storage (Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud, etc.) You can get a few GB free. Then create a share link to it that allows the file to be viewed by anyone who has the link. Then post the link here.

Example: Saltarelle Chavelle 2 voice.mp4

Last edited:
Apparently this forum will not accept videos.
Another option is create a โ€œchannelโ€ and upload the video to youtube. I find that an easy way to share.

Or upload it elsewhere and provide a url. This forumโ€™s โ€œInsert Mediaโ€ function indicates it can use a url from these (and I suspect other) sources, perhaps useful if you already use one. ( One of my sons prefers Vimeo.)

You may insert media from these sources
JKJ

Suggestion: Put your video in personal cloud storage (Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, Apple iCloud, etc.) You can get a few GB free. Then create a share link to it that allows the file to be viewed by anyone who has the link. Then post the link here.

Example: Saltarelle Chavelle 2 voice.mp4
Hi.Here is video of me playing and reversing bellows on lower keys. It is only noticable when reversing bellows.

Back