• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Which are The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Pick!! The AM1100 Would be on my list of say the " TOP 10 " of currently made Pro Accordions. JIM D.

Petosa?
Never heard if it.
Where are they made Jim?

The Dalape Supermaestro is definately a classic , SS, but always thought the Super-Paolo was rather overrated .

The best value classic of course is the Hohner Atlantic-IV , preferably the "N" version . a totally unique sound which in Musette form IMO beats the Morino models soundwise as there are no silly cassottos messing up the sound (and is likely a bit too much for those south of Hadrians wall) . the all Alloy construction was unique too and it used better quality reeds than the usual T and H types ..

Hohner have re-used the name "Atlantic" recently but it`s basically a 120 bass Amica with vaguely Atlantic styling, nothing whatsoever in common with the Proper atlantics .

Glenn said:
Petosa?
Never heard if it.
Where are they made Jim?

I believe the Petosa operation was Seattle WA based in the 70s, but made in Italy, but Jimll put us right.

Adam-T said:
The best value classic of course is the Hohner Atlantic-IV , preferably the "N" version . a totally unique sound which in Musette form IMO beats the Morino models soundwise

how much are these to buy ?

I sold mine for £400 . it was an "N" Musette in lovely playing condition and almost as nice as the Concerto in condition with original case .......

Dealers want silly prices for them (£900 upwards) and they end up gathering dust on the shelves. when I got mine there were a few kicking about around the £400 to £500 money, most were the LMMH versions which would be better for the Non-Scots out there .......

the best value ones are the HohnerVOX 4 ones where the electronics box has been lost - they`re basically a standard atlantic with switches on the panel for an external electronic box (there`s no electronics in the accordion, just switches) . these , or ones where the switches have been removed go for a lot less as they look a mess unless a new (very expensive) grille is fitted - I saw one with gaping holes where the switches were go for £250 - it looked awful but it`s the same as any other Atlantic to play and soundwise , once a new grille is fitted, it becomes a standard Atlantic .

We don't get to know much about the American accordions over here, which I suppose is prob not that surprising.

Adam-T said:
I sold mine for £400 . it was an N Musette in lovely playing condition and almost as nice as the Concerto in condition with original case .......
I missed that one by a whisker :cry: - Id just bought something else at the time and didnt want to handling 2 new ones. But a s you say Id not have the culture to appreciate the Scottish musette - albeit the other registers still make a fine sound, I believe.

Adam-T said:
the best value ones are the HohnerVOX 4 ones

This is what I have, although the delux version rather than the N, which came with its electronic box. I just wish I knew how to work it all. It also came with a midi converter which no one, even the manufacturer, knows how it works. So at some point Ill have to do lots of experimenting.

Petosa accordions are made in Italy and the firm has been making the finest state of the art instruments for some 90 years now. for more info visit here -- http://www.petosa.com JIM D.

Knobby said:
This is what I have, although the delux version rather than the N, which came with its electronic box. I just wish I knew how to work it all. It also came with a midi converter which no one, even the manufacturer, knows how it works. So at some point Ill have to do lots of experimenting.

Delux means that it has a wrist coupler bar and more gold colouring on the grille basically - you get N deluxe models - the N ones are easily distinguished by the white Gola style couplers with no dots on them (N = new version as far as I can tell in Hohners but they often decided to make newer versions than N such as in the Concerto line) ..

Nice to see you got the whole VOX setup rather than just the Atlantic part with the switches ripped out and replaced with chickenwire :D

Adam-T said:
the best value ones are the HohnerVOX 4 ones where the electronics box has been lost - they`re basically a standard atlantic with switches on the panel for an external electronic box (there`s no electronics in the accordion, just switches) . these , or ones where the switches have been removed go for a lot less as they look a mess unless a new (very expensive) grille is fitted - I saw one with gaping holes where the switches were go for £250 - it looked awful but it`s the same as any other Atlantic to play and soundwise , once a new grille is fitted, it becomes a standard Atlantic .

What do you think of this one Adam for the price (€700 is about 600 pounds)

http://www.marktplaats.nl/a/muziek-...da871b0d84f75c3056cc6db858f31&previousPage=lr[/url]

Wondering whether to make contact with the seller.
It says in perfect condition with cables and foot pedal......? :!:

Adam-T said:
Delux means that it has a wrist coupler bar and more gold colouring on the grille basically - you get N deluxe models - the N ones are easily distinguished by the white Gola style couplers with no dots on them (N = new version as far as I can tell in Hohners but they often decided to make newer versions than N such as in the Concerto line) ..

Just looked properly at the badge on mine - Atlantic IV N De Luxe, with the white couplers, but it doesnt have a wrist coupler.

Strange it doesn`t have the wrist bar - apart from the extra gold trim, it was all that disinguished it from the non Delux model . someone could have replaced the badge at some stage though, they do go missing. good that it`s an N , earlier ones had foam under the pallet felts which crumbled with age

Glenn -
700 Euros for a CBA version of the Hohnervox with all the electric bits (expander box, pedals etc IF they`re included) doesn`t sound bad to me . make sure its the system you want to play though (C or B Griff)

Atlantic Seekers. one you may want to keep an eye on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hohner-At...536&pid=100010&prg=1013&rk=3&sd=321125287285&

BTW I have to say Don's view on the Borsini Modern range is underscored by the fact he has a Scandelli made Bell 2520, which prob should also go in the list!

I may try and muster some pics of these classics. What do we think?

I must put in a plug for the Hohner Regina V. I'm npt a player so this is purely from a technical standpoint, but it is a marvel of packing so much into a small package. Three voice 34 key treble with one coupler, four voice 111 bass, and all in a package no bigger than a typical 48 bass two octave treble.
Photos to follow.

It`d be interesting to see those pics Theo - It usually takes a CBA to cram that spec into Typical 48-bass / 26 note PA size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back