• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Which are The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Theo; Love to see the pic's also. It's a well known fact that Hermann Goering Commander-in -Chief of the Luftwaffe played the accordion. Not a proven fact but it is rumored that Hermann played a Hohner Regina of 1930's vintage. JIM D.

Out of interest Adam - why the Morino VII rather than just Morinos; or other Morino models?

I did a bit of poking around about the VII N last year and concluded that it was the next best thing to a Gola and offered 180 bass buttons (Freebass + Stradella), 5 voices and from the one I saw the pics of the inside of, Gola-level build quality (My Club Morino N has that too, even the bass machine uses Chromed parts and brass screws) .. I guess all Morinos are classics but they do seem to vary in build

Photos of the newly acquired Regina V, with a 1950s Student for comparison.

Attachments

• P1020189.jpg
    P1020189.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 1,806
  • P1020188.jpg
    P1020188.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 1,815
  • P1020187.jpg
    P1020187.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,809
Nice & handy - Are they (must be?) under size keys - looks tight between the blacks... I guess it's standard bass button spacing?

I'm starting to prepare some photos from my collection of these. Same thread? Or start a new one?

Petosa AM1100
I've seen 2 of these and both came with additional alternate tuned reeds (to switch from dry to Musette for example) and both had alternate grill - one with mics & controls and the other as acoustic only.

Attachments

• petosaam1100.jpg
    petosaam1100.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 1,821
  • petosa am1100 b.jpg
    petosa am1100 b.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 1,814
Hohner Gola

Attachments

• Gola.jpg
    Gola.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 1,804
Excellent Theo !! the Regina V doesn`t quite pull off the CBA Coup but it gets far closer than you`d think a PA would ..

Adam-T said:
Glenn -
700 Euros for a CBA version of the Hohnervox with all the electric bits (expander box, pedals etc IF they`re included) doesn`t sound bad to me . make sure its the system you want to play though (C or B Griff)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hohner-At...536&pid=100010&prg=1013&rk=3&sd=321125287285&
Well Ive only gone and done it.
Its mine, accordion, expander (weighs more than the accordion itself), foot-pedal and cables.
According to the brief handbook, it even has a condenser mike inside.
Havent dared plug the electronics in yet as Im not sure my house can stand the current strain :geek:

Ill report with pictures when I get the hang of it (assuming I dont electrocute myself).

Straying a bit off topic, there Glenn?

One of the classic accordions PANcordion has not really been seen since the days of Lawrence Welk-- Myron Floren -- And Frankie Yankovic. Joey Muskulin a producer of Grammy winning albums with a musical career of over 4 decades and has collaborated with artists including Paul McCartney and Andy Williams has re-appeared with the Band Riders in the Sky using one of his PANs. Some of you might like this --- --- Joe has more than one PANcordion models he performs with and here he uses his Baton Tone Chamber. They now call him Joey the Cowpolka King. :lol: {} :lol: JIM D.

There are high end Russian Classicals which make Hohner Golas look very "mid range" quality , Even Pigini make one which costs over 40,000 UK Pounds.. I don `t think there`s one "Rolls Royce" but a whole fleet of them from different makers and most seem to be Button accordions

I think most of the big makes have a programme whereby you, as purchaser, visit the company and discuss with their engineers and technicians exactly what you need in your bespoke accordion.
eg. top-top quality components, special tunings, cassotto placement, converter arrangements, hand chosen verniers and decoration, everything the customer can possibly want. Add a wadge of money, sprinkle a decent period of time and hey presto you've spent 40k on a new accordion and have a grin broader than a Cheshire cat. Not for the faint of wallet. :|

I think its a 1950-60s Excelsior Symphony with the couplers in an arch & with tone modulator (?) - great jazz tone.

JIM D. said:
One of the classic accordions PANcordion has not really been seen since the days of Lawrence Welk-- Myron Floren -- And Frankie Yankovic. Joey Muskulin a producer of Grammy winning albums with a musical career of over 4 decades and has collaborated with artists including Paul McCartney and Andy Williams has re-appeared with the Band Riders in the Sky using one of his PANs. Some of you might like this --- --- Joe has more than one PANcordion models he performs with and here he uses his Baton Tone Chamber. They now call him Joey the Cowpolka King. :lol: {} :lol: JIM D.

Hi Jim, I have one of the early Pancordion Panjet accordions, I bought it from the original owner. He had bought it as a youngster in Pennsylvania and it didnt appear to have been played. He was living in Colorado and listed it on Craigslist on two occasions and I was the only one that inquired. I quess no one realized what it was. I drove from Wichita to Denver and bought it very reasonable. I could hardly contain my excitement. This accordion is LMMH with the French musette setting.
I will see about getting a photo to post on the other thread.
Regards

I remember the bizarre leaf couplers on those Panjets - from what I remember they work like Melodeon stops in that they enable or disable a bank of reeds instead of selecting a combination of reedbanks - the upside is that it`s more flexible than the traditional method as there are no limitations of what you can or can`t select (you can have all off too) , the downside is that in the heat of battle, not as fast or intuitive to select what you want as you have to move up to four leafs

Hi Colinm; Jack Plays an Excelsior Symphony 4/5 reed with Sordina (Grill Mute) and has the original Excelsior electronic pickup. His accordion has the plexiglass type keytops (Non Yellowing) so I would say its around 1960 to 1970 vintage made in Italy. I recently came across a 1946 US made Symphony and purchased it if for only one reason that 1946 is the year I was born. At the present its in the process of a total rebuild and when completed the only way you would get me to part with it is with a mask and a gun. Musically yours; JIM D.

Yes Jim - I wasn't sure that the design on this constituted a sordina - hence the question mark. Thanks for the clarification. Great sound on it and some of his quartet's 70's recording are way ahead of his time. :tup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back