• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Which are The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@tom
im more in to jazzy/ world music stuff... in this period im really in to gipsy jazz manouche and swing musette!
if u are gonna visit italy tell me! i live not that far from stradella!

Adam-T said:
I`d not be Suprised if Jim had seen a Chinese box with Scandalli on it

Whether hes seen one in person or not, he did mention that they exist. But forgetting about that for the moment and assuming that we could round up a number of bona fide Italian-made Scandallis, I imagine you might agree that they wouldnt all qualify for the category The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions, and in fact the majority would be nothing particularly special? Im partial to the Italian accordions myself, but we have to be realistic, in an era when most of the worlds accordions came from Italy, they necessarily must have made most of the worlds cheap accordions.

For a chilling thought, look at what has happened with the garment industry in Prato, thousands of Chinese factories turning out clothing Made in Italy (but without the involvement of any Italians.) The same thing could happen to any industry, though I hopefully imagine it would be less likely to pay off with accordions.

If we`re sticking to "The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions" then I guess there really are only a handful full stop - such as Excelsior Symphony / Magnante, Hohner Gola, Scandalli Super-6 , Dallape SuperMaestro, Bugari Championcass, Pigini (Pick one of their best Classical CBAs) and maybe a few other less heard of top class PAs from the likes of Brandoni, Zupan, Cooperativa etc anyway - so no low end models from any of the Italian makers aren`t going to get a look in - neither are decent middlers like Hohner Atlantics or Pigini P36s ..

There are plenty of superb PAs but not that many "Greats" . the Magnante, Gola and Super-6 always spring to mind with me when someone asks what are the classic rols royce of PAs .

I don't know which are the best but I have once heard a Pigini Mythos being played, Prof. Owen Murray gave what was he said in the morning was his last ever concert in Canterbury a couple of years ago (but since then he done some more) and he plays this instrument. It was incredible to listen to. The sound seemed to fill the room in some strange way without sounding loud or overpowering the other instruments, I can't even explain properly what it sounded like. Part of it will be down to the playing (no wasted effort etc.) but part of it seemed to me to be just different from other accordions I had heard, so if anyone has any idea what might be special about the build of this very expensive instrument, I would be very interested...

Hi Matt; There really is no secret to the sounds a top of the line Pigini is capable of. These top of the line accordions Italian firms make are made from aged hardwoods that transmit the pure tones of their handmade reeds. Of course their price reflects this. JIM D.

@ilrosso (Ciao Red, :), Sounds good! Jazz manouche and swing sure are fine.. Probably there is a big range of liscio from cheesy and terrible to interesting. Some of the acordionists are too into showing off technique but I do like the more jazzy and latin styles with uptempo horn sections. OK, it'll be a few years till I get back to Italy but hopefully we will be friends. And I'll offer the same invite for the US!

Hmmmmmm....is it not so much that the better the player the better the instrument sounds.....whatever the quality of the instrument......if I had a top line "great acoustic" accordion it would be a tremendous waste of value, money and instrument.....(currently at least :roll: I will improve !) .........

I could drive Jensen Button's McLaren and he would pass me in a Reliant Robin !!!

So , I do not really know any Great Acoustic Piano Accordions .............

I just think mine are really great.....because they're mine and I can nearly play them ! {} :b {}

Jarvo

Just happened to stumble across what seems to be the accordion sound of my dreams: Fratelli Alessandrini. Of course, there's a range of different models and I've heard only a few, in terrible youtube video recordings, but ... if they haven't been making one of the great acoustic piano accordions, then I'll happily settle for not so great!

They also make chromatic button models, which I assume would have the same reeds etc., but they don't show up in the online videos.

Adam-T said:
If we`re sticking to The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions then I guess there really are only a handful full stop - such as Excelsior Symphony / Magnante, Hohner Gola, Scandalli Super-6 , Dallape SuperMaestro, Bugari Championcass, Pigini (Pick one of their best Classical CBAs) and maybe a few other less heard of top class PAs from the likes of Brandoni, Zupan, Cooperativa etc anyway - so no low end models from any of the Italian makers aren`t going to get a look in - neither are decent middlers like Hohner Atlantics or Pigini P36s ..

There are plenty of superb PAs but not that many Greats . the Magnante, Gola and Super-6 always spring to mind with me when someone asks what are the classic rols royce of PAs .

Settimio Soprani Artiste Six?

These are all "production" models that would today cost around 12k.
How about the bespoke models costing 40k?

While I have absolutely no doubt about the gola piano boxes being at or near the top of the pile it is interesting to note that the one and only 3 row gola which hohner made of their own volition for Jimmy Shand in 1960 was heartily disliked by its recipient!

Presumably Hohner were hoping for for a large amount of free publicity 'rub off' for the piano version if Jimmy had used the 3 row Gola on his worldwide tours and on his many record sleeves

george :)

Glenn said:
These are all production models that would toiday cost arouhnd 12k.
How about the bespoke models costing 40k?
The thread is about Production models, Glenn - not specials, see original post.
PS You wont get a new Gola PA for £12k, either.

JIM D. said:
One of the classic accordions PANcordion has not really been seen since the days of Lawrence Welk-- Myron Floren -- And Frankie Yankovic. Joey Muskulin a producer of Grammy winning albums with a musical career of over 4 decades and has collaborated with artists including Paul McCartney and Andy Williams has re-appeared with the Band Riders in the Sky using one of his PANs. Some of you might like this --- --- Joe has more than one PANcordion models he performs with and here he uses his Baton Tone Chamber. They now call him Joey the Cowpolka King. :lol: {} :lol: JIM D.

My word !! In that video he picked up that beautiful Pancordion off the floor (roughly) like it was a piece of junk. I`ve had 2 high dollar Pancordions in the past and aside from the weight I thought they were even better made than my Giulietti 127.

The list is now a fair length and most of us accept that we will never touch one, but what makes a model 'great'?
People have mentioned reeds and hard wood but there has got to be be a lot more than that.
Garth

As a player.

1st the way it sounds. I have a couple boxes I love the way they sound but don't play so well.

2nd the way it plays and feels. Is it eazy to play and fit you the way you like.

Put the 2 togeather and walla. Not that simple!

As a builder.

I guess start with a good idea. Build it with care.

Most accordion repair and builders back in the day loved the box and was raised to make accordions. Starting from a child sweeping the floors and working ther way up. Its hard to get that from a machine.

I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that!

I'm sure there is a lot mor than that!

Interesting to see such an old thread being revived. Some really deserve to be on the list. I have played the Hohner Gola but only briefly while I had one (around 50 years old) to repair and tune. It is a fantastic instrument, and it really stands out compared to the next in line from Hohner, the Morino (which thus should not on the list). But then I saw the Bugari Championcassotto being added to the list. That is really not deserved. The Bugari Artist Cassotto is clearly better, with the 289 ARS/C (or C4) and 289 ARS/C5 being the professional ones. Bugari makes some higher-end models but I have seen and tried some and they are really more hype than value. I played the 289 ARS/C5 for a few years and it is a delight. I would not hesitate to compare it to a Gola in sound and playability quality (albeit with different sound) and I certainly rate it higher than a Hohner Morino. (The Morino VI N would be the typical contender.)
If I were to nominate other models I would name the Beltuna Leader V for its innovative "amplisound" technology and compact construction, and to name something truly special the high-end AKKO accordions are exceptional in sound (having large reed plates with Bayan reeds).

Yes the older list is being revisited, And debra's comments suggest the list just might be augmented.
(1) mark the age of manufacture
(2) mark the models that have become (classic) from the height of the "Golden Age Of Accordions" late 40's to early 70's
(3) When nominating a model refer to a well known artist that used them.
(4) Name the origin of manufacture.
(5) On which side of the pond they were preferred.
(6) And of course, reason's for nomination to the list.

OK, let me take the Gola (the classic is the 455/459: 45 keys, 5 reeds on keyboard side, 120 or 185 bass buttons with MIII, not convertor).
1) Made since 1956. Gola's are still being made but they are no longer the same.
2) The 459 is the classic model.
3) Harry Mooten was a famous dutch accordion player who used a Gola. He recorded Bach as well as light and jazz music. Mie Miki is a "younger" (and still alive) player on the Gola. Also well known for Baroque music. And my good friend (who unfortunately died almost 2 years ago) Henri Lievens played the Gola. (That's the Gola I got to repair and tune.)
4) Hohner made them
5) They were made in Germany although I suspect that later more and more parts were made by Excelsior in Italy, who also made the Morino N and S series.
6) The sound and playability of the Gola were second to none, considering the size and weight of the instrument. The Gola was very clearly the top of the line for Hohner. Very fine craftmanship, everything playing very well, right down to the very lowest notes on the MIII keyboard.

debra said:
OK, let me take the Gola (the classic is the 454: 45 keys, 5 reeds on keyboard side, 185 bass buttons with MIII, not convertor).
1) Made since 1956. Golas are still being made but they are no longer the same.
2) The 454 is the classic model.
3) Harry Mooten was a famous dutch accordion player who used a Gola. He recorded Bach as well as light and jazz music. Mie Miki is a younger (and still alive) player on the Gola. Also well known for Baroque music. And my good friend (who unfortunately died almost 2 years ago) Henri Lievens played the Gola. (Thats the Gola I got to repair and tune.)
4) Hohner made them
5) They were made in Germany although I suspect that later more and more parts were made by Excelsior in Italy, who also made the Morino N and S series.
6) The sound and playability of the Gola were second to none, considering the size and weight of the instrument. The Gola was very clearly the top of the line for Hohner. Very fine craftmanship, everything playing very well, right down to the very lowest notes on the MIII keyboard.
Thanks Debra - very interesting. Is that model a standard or built to order?

You are right, I should have said 455. I misread the specification. The 455 is the classic with 5 reeds. The 454 only has 4 reeds. I have never seen a 454, only the 455 with 5 reeds.
The instruments themselves are not labeled. I don't believe it is written 455 anywhere on the instrument. It only says it;s a Gola.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back