• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Which are The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
JIM D. said:
Yes the older list is being revisited, And debras comments suggest the list just might be augmented.
(1) mark the age of manufacture
(2) mark the models that have become (classic) from the height of the Golden Age Of Accordions late 40s to early 70s
(3) When nominating a model refer to a well known artist that used them.
(4) Name the origin of manufacture.
(5) On which side of the pond they were preferred.
(6) And of course, reasons for nomination to the list.

Thats a good suggestion for an interesting augmentation.
Im happy to include the info as a link on the first page so we keep the list clean so to speak. A pic and/or a link to it being played would be welcomed, too.

I've added the Artist you mentioned.

I edited my post to change 454 to 455/459. (I'm not used to forums that let you edit posts except for the first 30 minutes or so.)
Adam-T added the Bugari Champion Cassotto, which is one level below the Artist Cassotto.
The Bugari Artist Cassotto, especially the 289 ARS/C (also known as 289 ARS/C4 in the period when the ARS/C5 was also regularly available) is popular among professional accordion players. This model has been available for a long time, but I don't know when production of this model started. (I'm sure Roberto Ottavianelli could answer this.) At times the 289 ARS/C was only in the product catalog and the C5 was not and at other times the C5 was in the catalog. I bought my 289 ARS/C5 at a time when this instrument officially did not exist. (But when you ask they may produce it anyway.)
One of the new young rising stars playing the 289 ARS/C is Vincent van Amsterdam (son of Evert van Amsterdam, conductor of a great accordion orchestra "Esmeralda" in Haarlem, the Netherlands).

Well there are of course many models on the list and if I may pick a model (or models) and make a start. There are 3 mentions of PANcordion and I will try to augment their nomination in just one post.
(1) Origins - In the early 40s Ernest Deffner and Bob Pancotti (formerly from Excelsior) formed the PANcordion firm. They acquired the old Selmer factory in Long Island, NY , and began producing fine quality accordions with the help of employee craftsmen such as the Magnante Bros. and Natale Frosini. The firm produced accordions into the 50s. In the 50s an Italian firm (Crucianelli) was selected to produce some and eventually all the PAN models.
(2) The combining of the US patents and Italian craftsmanship produced Pro model PANs that have become classic and are still produced to this day.
(3) Since the models that are so called great or classic were all PAs and 41 key 120 bass they were more popular in the US than in Europe. In the US all Italian models carried The PAN badge and in Europe carried the Crucianelli badge.
(3) Artists - The late Myron Florin and Lawrence Welk ---
And today - Joey Miskulin --

JIM D. said:
Well there are of course many models on the list and if I may pick a model (or models) and make a start. There are 3 mentions of PANcordion and I will try to augment their nomination in just one post.
(1) Origins - In the early 40s Ernest Deffner and Bob Pancotti (formerly from Excelsior) formed the PANcordion firm. They acquired the old Selmer factory in Long Island, NY , and began producing fine quality accordions with the help of employee craftsmen such as the Magnante Bros. and Natale Frosini. The firm produced accordions into the 50s. In the 50s an Italian firm (Crucianelli) was selected to produce some and eventually all the PAN models.
(2) The combining of the US patents and Italian craftsmanship produced Pro model PANs that have become classic and are still produced to this day.
(3) Since the models that are so called great or classic were all PAs and 41 key 120 bass they were more popular in the US than in Europe. In the US all Italian models carried The PAN badge and in Europe carried the Crucianelli badge.
(3) Artists - The late Myron Florin and Lawrence Welk ---
And today - Joey Miskulin --

<FONT font=Garamond><SIZE size=130><COLOR color=#0040FF>Jim - am I correct in assuming these are non-chambered accordions?

The PANcordion Batons were and are tone chamber and on the PANitalia, PANjet types optional.
When looking at a pic of a PANcordion - In general a Baton type will have conventional type switchs (couplers) and the Panitalia or Panjet types had the flaps. But some (not many) have shown up just the opposite.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Pan...UKEwiYmKLE7MLKAhWBQCYKHVjvCQIQsAQIKA&dpr=1.26

If you dont mind the weight (21 to 24 lbs.) a Panitalia, Baton or PANjet 45 from the 60s to the early 70s will rival any thing made today and were and are true classics.
http://www.accordions.com/pancordion/panitalia-45.htm
http://www.bussomusic.com/catalog/modeldetails.php?SPID=22
http://www.bussomusic.com/catalog/modeldetails.php?SPID=20

I've been offered a Scandalli Super VI L model for 4 grand (LMMH), it does sound lovely, but I did prefer his Giulietti Super which wasn't for sale. I've been told that the L model of the Super 6 wasn't the best and goes for around 4 grand in a shop. Does anyone know anything about this model and whether 4 grand is a reasonable deal?

Well just to facilitate discussion, I'd throw what I do know (think) & is not a lot about Super VIs into the mix: I believe the model most sought is the N, which was 1960s.
There was a value engineered plastic bodied one made by Farfisa in 70s, that AFAIK is still a great accordion, but is the least valued.
The rest I know not a lot about for preferences, other than someone on here tried a new one and didn't care much for it at the price.
How old is the model you're considering? And which shop has one for £4k?
If you mean a Super L (rather than a super VI L )- then I believe the super L differs from a super VI in that it doesn't have hand made reeds, but hand finished reeds.

No guerrini's onthe list,have had one for 22yrs,( kept me happy all that time)a double cassotto two and 3voice musette voices etc .I like mellow,its a Superia 2 dont know if they are still made.Thanks for the birthday greetings JD sorry I have been 3 months late acknowledgeing it

It's a Super VI with an L next in the model number. It does have hand made reeds. Mr Allodi told me that he'd sold one for £4,100 recently.

Hugh said:
Its a Super VI with an L next in the model number. It does have hand made reeds. Mr Allodi told me that hed sold one for £4,100 recently.
1950s model - yep you missed one on here about a year ago then - I believe that was £4k asking, too.. although it went below that... and I think it was a nice one... this one:

I'm going to go and try the Excelsior Symphony Gold in Birmingham. Is this model very different to the 940?

I have a 1962 Continental Grand tone chamber which is the 60's version of a new Symphony Gold. The only real difference between them is The Symphony has gold trim and mine has chrome trim. I also own a 60's 940. They both have similar features - sound much the same - and if I had to pick just one, Well it would be a toss up.

JIM D. said:
I have a 1962 Continental Grand tone chamber which is the 60s version of a new Symphony Gold. The only real difference between them is The Symphony has gold trim and mine has chrome trim. I also own a 60s 940. They both have similar features - sound much the same - and if I had to pick just one, Well it would be a toss up.

The other make Ill get the chance to try out in Birmingham is Serenellini. Theyll probably be new and relatively pricey as its a shop. I like the sound of the ones I have heard on youtube. The Balkan sounds good and the Imperator also does although I find Orosz Zoltan a difficult listen because all he seems to do is flash up and down the keyboard at a million miles an hour!

Do you know much about Serenellinis?

You may like the models of Serenellini because of their lower price, sharp tone and light weight, and might just be your "cup of tea" but, Serenellini Pro models although of fine quality, are not in the same class of sturdy and quality Pro models of (Victoria made) Titano's , Excelsior's , Giulietti's , Petosa's , 60's era Super VI's and Sano's for example.
Another factor to consider is resale value. The other makes I mention here will in most cases retain a good resale value and in some cases appreciate in value. Whereas a Serenelli's in most cases depreciate in value with time.

I've posted the sellers link to JimD in a PM.. so he may come back with comments - he's The Man on here... particularly on Excelsiors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back