• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Which are The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
debra said:
The list of Hohner models I have does not list a Morino VII so I just assumed Morino VI.
Maybe Adam-T can show a Morino VII? I have no idea what instrument that could be.

I think I can help there. It was just a coincidence, but I was looking over old paperwork and saw a reference to the Hohner Morino VII N. Think visually identical to a VI N and remove a set of reeds from the treble site and add 7 bass registers instead of 3 (a la Gola).

CLICK HERE to see the page of the brochure that I scanned for you. :)[/quote]

Was that published in Canada? And is there a date somewhere - 3/72 possibly 1972?

The only photos I have seen (I posted the links 2 pages back) of something that is supposedly a VII shows it had 3 bass register switches and 6 bass register slides. Also with 4 voice treble instead of 5.

It seems like after the Chinese/Taiwanese shift in Hohner they seem to have lost a lot of what they know. A lot of the research being done about Hohners history and old models are by amateurs and collectors. So until somebody finds something, its most likely as good as if it never existed.

The bottom clearly shows a print date of 3/72 and straight across that it was printed in Germany as well as the name of the publishing company. Jives with he fact that I received the Morino VI N In November 1972, if memory serves me right.

The specs clearly show 7 bass registers. They also made the VIIN in a 120 bass version, same specs (-1 reed set, 7 bass registers).

Sorry, let me rephrase that: Was that brochure meant to be distributed in Canada? Or was that a general English brochure for any Hohner distributor?

As for the date, it makes sense. I just wanted to double check, because I've started to form the the opinion that with Hohner numbers don't always mean what you think they do :D.

The spec does mention 7 registers, but that might've been what was used at the time. I suspect the VII N photos I've seen before might be older if it has more of the slide registers.

Anything is possible. The brochure clearly mentions a VIIN with 7 bass register switches and the image shows a VI N (with 3 bass register switches)...
I know Hohner made a IV B with 4 sets of reeds, 185 basses (MIII) and 7 bass register switches but its keyboard has only 43 notes, not 45.
So the search remains for a picture of the VII N. Interesting world...

Morne said:
Sorry, let me rephrase that: Was that brochure meant to be distributed in Canada? Or was that a general English brochure for any Hohner distributor?

As for the date, it makes sense. I just wanted to double check, because Ive started to form the the opinion that with Hohner numbers dont always mean what you think they do :D.

The spec does mention 7 registers, but that mightve been what was used at the time. I suspect the VII N photos Ive seen before might be older if it has more of the slide registers.
The one in previous pics was a VII (not N).
The scanned document was printed in Germany.
To clarify Debras comment that seemed to suggest there was a description of one and a picture of another: The scanned document shows comprehensive descriptions for both but pics of one, presumably due to space/cost limitations.

Weve got a post from a while ago promoting it; we can find comprehensive pictures on the net; weve got it featured in a Hohner brochure printed in Germany.
Thats enough evidence for me. It certainly exists.

Just read through this (long) thread and wondered where Giulietti fitted in the big scheme of things. I have had a couple of cba Giulietti accordions (and still have one) and found the sound and quality superb.
Far better than I'll ever be and hugely better than my old Hohner cba's. Just interested really.

Orma said:
Just read through this (long) thread and wondered where Giulietti fitted in the big scheme of things. I have had a couple of cba Giulietti accordions (and still have one) and found the sound and quality superb.
Far better than Ill ever be and hugely better than my old Hohner cbas. Just interested really.
Yes it is long.. and wandered off a bit... :) There is a Giulietti listed, Classic 127?

My bad, didn't read carefully enough. I guess this is the first time I've seen a credible source for a model that does not appear on the already incredibly long list of hohner models published on this site.
Different manufacturers have been known to go out on a limb to make an accordion that is not or no longer on their list. I bought a Bugari 289/ARS/C5 at a time when that model did not exist. It had existed before, but no longer listed on the site and vendors did not have it in their pricelist so you had to get a quote directly from the factory. Lter that model was reintroduced and today it is a regular model on their website. Go figure. Models also sometimes change specification without the model number changing. The Morino IV M is a good example as it changed from 4-reed bass to 5-reed bass at some point. And Bugari also has had models that have fewer or more notes depending on when they were made.

It wasn't meant as a criticism, the post just gave an impression that was misleading.
The Hohner list on this site didn't originate here, it's just reproduced. The origination is AFAIK uncertain... what is certain is there are models missing from it, possibly because they couldn't find the technical details in the style of the other entries.. Or they didn't know they ever existed... so don't bet your shirt on anything in, or not, in there.

Regarding the Morino VII (N), I had a look at the brochures I posted on the other thread and couldn't find any reference to it.

Regarding Morino M bass reeds, I also couldn't find any reference in there to the number. I wonder if it wasn't a case of you having to specify it. Especially since they also make no reference to the different bass setups (cassotto on the oldest ones, winkelbass, umlauf, standard). Although it looks like they generally did not mention the number of bass reeds on any of their models.

Morne said:

As for the date, it makes sense. I just wanted to double check, because Ive started to form the the opinion that with Hohner numbers dont always mean what you think they do :D.

The spec does mention 7 registers, but that mightve been what was used at the time. I suspect the VII N photos Ive seen before might be older if it has more of the slide registers.

That is the brochure sent to me from Hohner Trossingen upon request. The Canadian brochure (from the Hohner Canada main office on Leslie street Toronto, Ontario back in the 70s), was shades of blue white and black and a lot more comprehensive, including things like Hohner amplifiers.

Interesting choice of setting up the bass... the Morino VI N has one long multi-handled 2-position slider and one short on-off switch to mix and match along with the 3 bass registers. The Morino VII N (and its clearly labeled as such) has the 7 bass registers and no sliders by the palm of the left hand. They both have the chin button master switch and identical front grill. This is why Hohner likely did not make a special pic for the VII N in this brochure, they looked almost the same and the specs were placed in the Morino section.

The ineteresting thing is that I have my dads pen markings on the VII N as being - $500 or $500 less. He was likely on the phone at the time with Hohner Germany but there is no way to be certain he didnt place the writing on the right spot. Just one of lifes little mysteries.

Orma said:
Far better than Ill ever be and hugely better than my old Hohner cbas. Just interested really.
Yes it is long.. and wandered off a bit... :) There is a Giulietti listed, Classic 127?[/quote]

Just checking :oops:
Mine is a cba with a P72 body- thought it must come from pedigree stock.

Morne said:

That is the brochure sent to me from Hohner Trossingen upon request. The Canadian brochure (from the Hohner Canada main office on Leslie street Toronto, Ontario back in the 70s), was shades of blue white and black and a lot more comprehensive, including things like Hohner amplifiers.

Interesting choice of setting up the bass... the Morino VI N has one long multi-handled 2-position slider and one short on-off switch to mix and match along with the 3 bass registers. The Morino VII N (and its clearly labeled as such) has the 7 bass registers and no sliders by the palm of the left hand. They both have the chin button master switch and identical front grill. This is why Hohner likely did not make a special pic for the VII N in this brochure, they looked almost the same and the specs were placed in the Morino section.

The ineteresting thing is that I have my dads pen markings on the VII N as being - $500 or $500 less. He was likely on the phone at the time with Hohner Germany but there is no way to be certain he didnt place the writing on the right spot. Just one of lifes little mysteries.[/quote]

<FONT font=Arial> AntonioB: “A Picture is worth a thousand Words”. I’m the proud owner of a HOHNER MORINO VIIN, see attached. I was very interested to see all the posts on this rather rare instrument, especially Jerry PH’s brochure (Page 14) and his mention of Bass Sliders (Page 16). You never know, there may be other configurations of the VIIN, but mine is as follows:
41 key (not 45), 4-voice straight tuned LMMH treble with 11 Couplers (No chin coupler), 2 Slide Couplers behind keyboard. 185 Bass (127 Stradella plus 58 Chromatic), 3 Bass Couplers (not 7), and 2 Slide Couplers. I’m not a fan of the bass slide couplers as they dig into your wrist. I like the narrower treble black keys because it enables me to play with my hand further in amongst the black notes.
Thanks to Adam-T for first mentioning the VIIN and Debra, Morne, Jerry PH, and Soulsaver for all their posts. Although I love my VIIN, if it’s of special interest to an Accordion collection, I am open to offers.

Attachments

• VIIN 10.jpg
    VIIN 10.jpg
    864.1 KB · Views: 1,672
  • VIIN 11.jpg
    VIIN 11.jpg
    811.3 KB · Views: 1,683
It's pretty interesting to see another variant other than what is in Hohner's own documentation, but I am no longer surprised. Who knows how many variations Hohner made over the years. All I can say is that they look very pretty... Ok, thats a very biased opinion... lol

About the bass registers, never had any comfort issues with mine. Probably just the fact that I have fairly small wrists and forearms.

Does your Morino Vii N have the master chin switch? BTW, welcome to the forum!

Hohner indeed made some rare instruments, sometimes one of a kind. A friend of mine has a Hohner (Morino) Artiste VI N Cassotto (C-griff). The Hohner Artiste VI has never been mass produced with cassotto. It only "exists" without cassotto but Hohner made a prototype with cassotto and it is a wonderful instrument, in my opinion vastly superior to the Artiste VI without cassotto. The only thing that's a little bit strange about the instrument is that it has rather large buttons. The whole keyboard looks a bit large compared to the size of the instrument. But it's a wonderful accordion nonetheless.

How did your friend get a hold of that prototype?
And just conjecturing, it's possible that Antonio has the right hand of a VII N and the left hand of a VI N, according to the info we have here and Hohner's official documentation that I have.

JerryPH said:
And just conjecturing, its possible that Antonio has the right hand of a VII N and the left hand of a VI N, according to the info we have here and Hohners official documentation that I have.
That would be rather impossible: the VII N is supposedly 4 voice and the VI N is 5 voice so the size of the bellows is different.
But there is another Hohner that comes very close to the VII N and that is the Morino IV B (which is an N) or IV BS.
This one does have 43 notes instead of the 41 of the VII N but it is 4 voice. The left hand side has the 7 or so registers instead of 3 but is 185 bass.
The IV B and IV BS are in the common Hohner model list posted on this forum.

JerryPH said:
And just conjecturing, its possible that Antonio has the right hand of a VII N and the left hand of a VI N, according to the info we have here and Hohners official documentation that I have.
It was through a teacher/dealer in Switzerland if Im not mistaken. The instrument does not say it is a prototype, but Hohner never started regular production of that model, which is a great shame. But maybe we should not be discussing that model here as it is not a piano accordion...

wout said:
Its been a while here but since I think I found a morino VII I thought I posted it:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/profi-akkordeon-hohner-morino/626567704-74-6620

has no modelname written on it and the bassbuttons are black, but its a MIII 4 voice cassotto.

I am hopefully buying a VI N this week :D
Not sure what defines this as a Morino VII...

Any specific reason why you would want a Morino VI N? Personally I would not want one because 1) it is very heavy, 2) the black keys are rather narrow and 3) the keyboard is very large (modern PAs with 45 keys have just slightly narrower keys to save about 2cm over the whole keyboard). Other than that it is a matter of what you like, regarding having MIII separately or through a convertor...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back