• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Which are The Great Acoustic Piano Accordions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it is a matter of taste I guess. I tried it out and I really liked the keyboard. Other than that it was a bit of a coincedence that I stumbled upon it, but after trying out I really like the sound. I must admit it is quite the instrument size and weightwise and that will take some getting used to, but I mostly play at home so it doesn't really matter so much to me.
Found it second hand for a decent price in a good shape :)
Also for me, piano used to be my main instrument for composing and playing tunes but I haven't had a piano for 2 years now and when I played one recently I realised I forgot alot of music! Terrible so with the m3 I can play the piano music again :)
It doesn't really matter to me if its convertor or m3 but this came on my way and I absolutely love the instrument.
How long I will love it I don't know I only really loved one of the 6 accordions I had in my life, my old fratelli crosio and it might change again some day :)

And for morino VII. It is the same specs. 4 voice mIII 41 keys and seems to be from the same age? Does look like it right?

wout said:
Well it is a matter of taste I guess...
Of course it is. And the sound of the old Morino N series is loved by many. (And is not so loved by people who claim the Morino M series sounds better.)
Choosing an accordion is hard and is very personal, and of course the right one needs to come along at the right price... That is not too hard with a Morino VI N as more people are trying to sell them than there are people trying to buy them (size and weight and MIII versus convertor are all factors that influence this).
Good luck with your new accordion!

wout said:
And for morino VII. It is the same specs. 4 voice mIII 41 keys and seems to be from the same age? Does look like it right?
The VII is 4/5 reeds, but a VI N is 5/5 reeds.

So, ok, it may not be a Gola or Mythos, but I have a very specual attachment to my VI N and sure, it weighs more than a standard accordion (still less than a full size Bayan), but the volume is incredible, the sound is always impressive, I ***LOVE*** the MIII better than converter style, after testing things out on the Rolands converter system and it just puts a smile on my face vereytime I wear it. I will be the first to say that 90% of my preference is personal. My 8x is nice, but they are going to bury me with my VI N... lol

JerryPH said:
My 8x is nice, but they are going to bury me with my VI N... lol

With these Morino VIs being as big as they are, they can actually bury you in it.

JerryPH said:
[...
So, ok, it may not be a Gola or Mythos, but I have a very specual attachment to my VI N and sure, it weighs more than a standard accordion (still less than a full size Bayan), but the volume is incredible, the sound is always impressive, I ***LOVE*** the MIII better than converter style, after testing things out on the Rolands converter system and it just puts a smile on my face vereytime I wear it. I will be the first to say that 90% of my preference is personal. My 8x is nice, but they are going to bury me with my VI N... lol

Weight seems to be a period feature. The Morino VI N may weigh less than a bayan from the same era, but my recent full size bayan weighs a lot less than a Morino VI N. The bayan even weighs less than a recent equivalent, like a Bugari 289/ARS/C5.
And maybe your Morino is different but I am generally not impressed by the sound volume of a Morino VI N or any other Morino from the N series. I play in a quintet with 3 Morino N series instruments (one is a VI N) and with my AKKO bayan and the AKKO blows the Morinos away.
The sound of the Morino N on the other hand is really impressive. Especially the M in cassotto, more so than the L reeds, sounds absolutely lovely. I have looked inside many accordions and still do not understand how come the Morino N has a nicer M sound than L sound whereas all others have a nicer L than M sound.

Jerry with the VII i was referring to the ebay page link I posted :)
Other news, you will be pleased to hear I am now the proud owner of a Morino VI N as well :D I know its a beast but you are right the sound is absolutely amazing, it really reminds me of the sound of my teachers super VI (the sound ive been hunting for). Dont know how to play the melodybass yet but I am going to practice with some beautiful Bach with this man as my example :)

wout said:
Other news, you will be pleased to hear I am now the proud owner of a Morino VI N as well :D I know its a beast but you are right the sound is absolutely amazing, it really reminds me of the sound of my teachers super VI (the sound ive been hunting for). Dont know how to play the melodybass yet but I am going to practice with some beautiful Bach with this man as my example :)

Congratulations!
Maybe you should also look up some Mie Miki videos. She is a marvelous MIII player (on Gola like Manfred Leuchter).

wout said:

On my blogsite, I have a scan of an original 1973 Hohner broschure where they briefly discuss the VI N, VII and Gola specs, and am quite happy to find another person who has been bitten by the same bug I was when I first touched my VI N back in 1973. One of my now greatest regrets in life was that I put down the accordion for so long... so much time, so much pleasure forever lost. Oh well, now I can at least putz around with accordions again in some small way.

Discussing the virtues of old vs new technologies for me is a moot point. Some people like cars from the 30s, others poo-poo on them, preferring to display the virtues of the current year. We all like what we like and when talking accordions, like what we like with the accordions of our own choice. It is now twice jn my life that a Gola was ordered for me and twice circumstances demaded that it not happen. No biggie, life moves on. :)

Wout, if you do a youtube search for Hohner Masters of the Accordion, a few nice videos show up. Your choice of people
To model yourself to are impressive, this man really is a master accordionist. I have a couple PDFs for Free Bass I could share with you, just PM me your email address... thats if you need anything.

Thanks paul and jerry! I will send you a PM with my email :D :D do you maybe have some with indications for which finger to use so I can get myself a base on technique :) also another morino related question: the hohner letters on mine are a bit dull and i wondered if you knew a way to make them shiny again :)

wout said:
Thanks paul and jerry! I will send you a PM with my email :D :D do you maybe have some with indications for which finger to use so I can get myself a base on technique :) also another morino related question: the hohner letters on mine are a bit dull and i wondered if you knew a way to make them shiny again :)
I dont have too many fingering tips for MIII. I havent used it much. I prefer convertor with 4 rows and the possibility to use the thumb on the first row...
Regarding the letters, a cleaning product for silver should do.

This is an old but very helpful thread, and I didn’t want to start a new topic, so hope some of the many knowledgeable folks will weigh in.
I’ve been looking at this Panjet, but it just sounds horribly out of tune to me. Am I hearing this right, or is that just the way a Panjet sounds? I’ve listened to some other recordings of other Pancordion models and they sound fine, but they’re already sold.Thanks!
Wonder how much it would cost to change the tuning in this one.

https://www.libertybellows.com/shop...jet-Piano-Accordion-LMMH-41-120-x32796942.htm

That is some WET tuning Eddy! It should not cost too much to have the Musette's teeth ground down somewhat. Most dealers in France will offer to modify the degree of musette tuning to suit a customer, either as part of a sale sweetener or at a modest cost... perhaps it will be the same in the USA.

That's a beautiful accordion but is tuned a bit wet for my tastes. Its also 12 kg, way to heavy for us middle aged, 71 year olds with back problems, to handle.

I suggest calling Liberty Bellows and talking with one of their CSR's. Every time I've called them, they've been really helpful.

Thanks, friends. So THAT’S a “wet” musette! Woof.
Aside from that, I thought that the octaves seemed out of tune, but will give them a call, Tony.
My back is good, and that grill is beautiful. Reading more in the forum on Pancordions, sounds like they were made to last. Liberty Bellows seems like a dependable company, too.
The other older accordion that appeals to me is the Bell 4516. The dealer who is so tight with information, mentioned in another post of mine, has one, but I’d rather support the helpful stores.

Eddy,

This is an Italian Fratelli Crosio with amsterdamse tuning, and it doesnt get much wetter or louder than this.

Wow! I think that's quite beautiful. Thanks.
Somehow, it is much more pleasing to me than the tuning of the Panjet I linked above. My accordion experience is pretty limited, enough so that I sometimes can't explain in accordion terms what I'm hearing, but I'm learning from the forum.
I was almost sorry when my profile bumped me up to "intermediate", because of the number of posts I've made. In my mind I'm still an "improver" and hope to stay one.

Eddy Yates post_id=62951 time=1537316178 user_id=3100 said:
Wow! I think thats quite beautiful. Thanks.
Somehow, it is much more pleasing to me than the tuning of the Panjet I linked above. My accordion experience is pretty limited, enough so that I sometimes cant explain in accordion terms what Im hearing, but Im learning from the forum.
I was almost sorry when my profile bumped me up to intermediate, because of the number of posts Ive made. In my mind Im still an improver and hope to stay one.

Eddy,

Were all improvers. I tried to teach myself C system CBA with imited success over 30 years ago, and thought I had done a reasonable job until I recently managed to find, and sign up with a teacher. Now every note, phrase, and bellows movement is under scrutiny, and it seems I never quite got it right.

Part of the issue with that Panjet is the player is unfamiliar with the instrument, but she eventually gets it all moving and the accordion seemed to be suited to that tune she played in a sort of waltz tempo. I wonder how many sales Liberty Bellows lose because the demonstrators struggle with the demo instrument? IMHO every demo clip they post starts off by over promoting what a fantastic accordion they have for sale, although I appreciate that may just be normal in the US. We tend to be a bit more reserved in the UK when describing musical instruments, often pointing out their shortcomings as well as their assets. On that particular clip I think the player struggled with the verbal description of the instrument, but redeemed herself with the playing (eventually).

The Dutch player is giving a typical medley of the music that was once found in the Amsterdam cafes. My wife has cousins in Amsterdam and Im familiar with the music, although I dont think it is as popular as it once was. Classical players tend to abhor the shrill musette tuning, and the barrel organ style music of the streets. A similar tuning is used in Belgium and the north of France.

Here is another type of wet tuning once popular in Ireland, as played by the late Dermot OBrien, a regular visitor to the US. Most of my family are Irish and loved the sound of his accordion, although these days most of that type of music is played on little two row diatonic button melodeons with swing tuning. The instrument is a Solton, which I know was made in Italy, but other than that, not a lot. I never got into accordion until I was in my 30s, by which time I think Solton had been swallowed up by a larger Italian concern. Sorry about the poor sound and picture quality.

Thanks, Maugein. Very enjoyable.
There’s very little in Music that I abhor...a lot in politics.
A question about musette tuning. Are there pretty standard degrees of “offness ”? How many cents would you think the Panjet I posted is detuned? I guess then a LMMMH accordion might have one set of reeds tuned, say 11 cents off, and another set more radical?
Yeah, it does seem that some of the Liberty Bellows folks hype the accordions, and I do wish they’d had someone else demo that one. If I ask Kimric at Smythe Accordions about one of his online instruments, he’s very honest, maybe even to the point of losing a sale.

Eddy,

Doubt if many people could judge musette tuning by ear with any accuracy. The Panjet is LMMH, so the "high" flute is the sharp tuned reed. It's sharper than most but I wouldn't hazard a guess as to how sharp.

With regard to cents, not every country uses that as a term of reference. Some countries use Hz, but in general you just multiply Hz by 4 to get cents.

In Europe the "main players" with regard to musette tunings, where three MMM sets of reeds are used, are (in rough order of "wetness" from weak to strong):-

German:- 14 cents

Italian:- 18 cents

French:- 24 cents

Scottish/Irish:- about 27 cents

Those are very general approximations and musette tuning is not an exact science. It is well enough known that no two accordions with musette tuning will sound exactly the same. The tuning is carried out manually, and even with the latest technology each accordion will settle down and develop its own unique tuning. There can be few instruments worldwide which are deliberately off-tuned, and that detuning is the cause of much debate. I can handle very strong musette tuning when I'm listening to Irish music, but cannot tolerate it with Scottish music, where the slower tempo tends to accentuate the off tuned reeds. Many people (particularly lovers of Scottish accordion music) disagree with me, and it is often just down to personal preference.

These days most Irish accordion music is played on instruments which only have two MM banks of reeds, and they have adopted swing tuning (about 5 cents). Scottish accordions are usually still tuned the way they've always been, and there is strong reluctance to change that. Horses for courses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back