• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Why does my C bass and C major play very high?

Reaction score
When I pick up my accordion and put it on, the first thing is that when I put my fingers on home C bass and C major the sounds are very high from some other register. When I hit, what I call, the main register stop it corrects itself and no further problems. I have to go through this routine every time I pick the instrument up to play. Could it be that something is sticking when I set the instrument down? It is a used Crucianelli Pancordion. Thank you in advance.

a flapper shift model ?

those things can get kinda loose with age/use and they have weight/mass to
flop around when bumped or jostled.. so it could be

i suppose doing a rebuild on the entire shift mech. could tighten
things up again

a flapper shift model ?

those things can get kinda loose with age/use and they have weight/mass to
flop around when bumped or jostled.. so it could be

i suppose doing a rebuild on the entire shift mech. could tighten
things up again
It is a flapper shift model with 8 flaps and a palm master. Everything fine on the keyboard side. It is just the one oddity on the bass side.

Different register mechanisms have different ways to stay put when no register switch is getting pushed. Some put springed pins in notches in the sliders. Those should not move on their own accord. Others stay put only by friction. Those may creep, particularly when the instrument is not in playing position.

You need to check out what kind of mechanism you have and whether there is something supposed to lock the sliders in place. Maybe there is, maybe not. If there is, some spring might have gone missing.

You should check out what happens between the end of a session and picking up the accordion again for the next session. Does it go inside a carrying case or bag? inside the case or bag a bass register may be pushed without you noticing it.
The other thing I don't like about these older accordions made by Crucianelli is that the registers to operate the 5-voice bass do not let you disable the highest voice. I have that taped off completely on my Crucianelli and like the bass sound a lot more now.

You should check out what happens between the end of a session and picking up the accordion again for the next session. Does it go inside a carrying case or bag? inside the case or bag a bass register may be pushed without you noticing it.
The other thing I don't like about these older accordions made by Crucianelli is that the registers to operate the 5-voice bass do not let you disable the highest voice. I have that taped off completely on my Crucianelli and like the bass sound a lot more now.
Thank you for responding. It does seem to play in the higher register when I pick it up. When I hit the master register it returns to the correct tone. I set the accordion on it's legs when not playing and cover it with a cloth.

Different register mechanisms have different ways to stay put when no register switch is getting pushed. Some put springed pins in notches in the sliders. Those should not move on their own accord. Others stay put only by friction. Those may creep, particularly when the instrument is not in playing position.

You need to check out what kind of mechanism you have and whether there is something supposed to lock the sliders in place. Maybe there is, maybe not. If there is, some spring might have gone missing.
I have located a gentleman that does accordion repairs about a half hour away from me. I intend to make an appointment with him to take a look.

Back