• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

2024 Market Goals

2024 farmers market is done, completed, finito. Last market for me yesterday was pretty sparsely attended. I got a few people wanting to take their picture with the accordionist as well as “It’s a lost art!” And “You don’t see it much anymore.” There was frost in the county but warm enough to play when the sun came out.

So, that brings us to 2025 which I have volunteered to play. The beauty is I have say 30 hours to play Anything I Want. Could be singing, total new repertoire, even start a duo or go back to guitar/americana…..not!

I met my goal of again doing 3 hours, no repeats, mostly from memory. But next year I will try to ditch the sheet music altogether.

I don’t think I will radically change the repertoire as there are many songs I really like to play. Ditch the ones I am tired of, I have plenty of songs lying around to fill the time with decent work.

Here are my ideas and goals:

1. Three hours of songs without sheet music, standing, maybe beef up to playing the heavier accordions.

2. Professional upgrade which I never got around to for 2024. Business card/flyer, YouTube site, poster, Mic and speaker.

3. A jazz set, even 5 tunes so I can be “Jazz, Polkas and More!”

4. More original music. Maybe shoot for 3 - 5 new original songs. (I play 1 now).

I know this is a walk in the park for many of you out there, but for me, as a second (third, fourth) career/identity, it’s keeping me from that long walk off a short pier……

It’s been great, see you next year!!!!!
Good work Tom,

Our end goals are very similar -- to bring good songs that the audience really appreciates and brings back memories for them. For both of us this gives us satisfaction -- a purpose for doing this. However, we do it in different ways. I play once a month at an assisted living establishment. Also, every week in our church, between 9:30 a.m. and 9:45 a.m.. I play standard hymns. A lot of "older folks" like this and come to hear me. At 9:45 a.m., the church starts with several "Worship Songs". The contrast is like "night and day". There are very loud drums, guitar, electronic piano, and vocal. The younger crowd loves this -- I understand this. However, aside from "the beat", the volume is ridiculous. Ear plugs are needed to protect your ears -- some people leave and then come back for the pastor's message when the worship songs are over.

My focus is not on your items 1 & 2, but rather on:
3-- "Jazz, Polkas, and More"
4 -- More new original songs that are familiar to the audience. I try to get the best Roland 8X sounds that I can "Fit" to the song.

John

Last edited:
Our end goals are very similar -- to bring good songs that the audience really appreciates and brings back memories for them. For both of us this gives us satisfaction -- a purpose for doing this.

Right on John! It’s true, it’s for our satisfaction, even though we get some of that satisfaction from satisfying the audience. I’m glad you have found your niche in regular places to play. I like that you have goals to reach for. And that you are doing all that tweaking on the Roland voices so I don’t have to!🤣. Good luck with all your events!

and i dated myself again.. the Cardigan gag being an hommage
to all the old TV Christmas specials from Andy, Bing, and epecially
Perry Como.. i would focus on their styles and selections and try
to channel their feel so an audience could remember when they
were young and sitting around the old black and white Philco
or Admiral or RCA Television with family and getting lost in those
old Christmas memories.. i would even pull a blue sweater over
my head when it was time for the Vocals to start..

and yes, after time in Europe i added some Peter Alexander
holiday favourites into the mix

and i dated myself again.. the Cardigan gag being an hommage
to all the old TV Christmas specials from Andy, Bing, and epecially
Perry Como.. i would focus on their styles and selections and try
to channel their feel so an audience could remember when they
were young and sitting around the old black and white Philco
or Admiral or RCA Television with family and getting lost in those
old Christmas memories.. i would even pull a blue sweater over
my head when it was time for the Vocals to start..

and yes, after time in Europe i added some Peter Alexander
holiday favourites into the mix
Those were the days my friend….

I need a major change. I’m getting tired of playing these same old tunes and the thought of adding 2 more hours of similar just won’t do. I need to do some major change, improv, originals, sing, something! I talked about this before and it hasn’t worked out. Got some wood chopping to do this morning, just put Arrigo Tomasi on “play all.” Way over my head, and I’ll not do it justice like Piotr but maybe a goal…..some of them seem approachable. This accordion playing thing is hard!
Wear a chicken head as costume and start playing the chicken dance!

Or can you find a young apprentice and make him play with you?

Reactions: Tom
Those were the days my friend….
Like the song !! Once upon a time there was a tavern where we used to raise glass or two remember how we laughed away the hours talking of all the good things that we would do ! Oh yes those were the the Days !!!!
Tom this is still a popular in the UK ..............it really touches the spot !!! I've been amazed how Audiences respond They are recalling and living the words of this song !!!! It would be a good one for your Farmers Market Gigs !!!
just saying !!!
Keep Squeezing !!! and bringing joy with your music !!!

Like the song !! Once upon a time there was a tavern where we used to raise glass or two remember how we laughed away the hours talking of all the good things that we would do ! Oh yes those were the the Days !!!!
Tom this is still a popular in the UK ..............it really touches the spot !!! I've been amazed how Audiences respond They are recalling and living the words of this song !!!! It would be a good one for your Farmers Market Gigs !!!
just saying !!!
Keep Squeezing !!! and bringing joy with your music !!!
Well I have not played this one but I’m sure it it would go over well , one of those that everyone knows. Thanks Giovanni!!!

Wear a chicken head as costume and start playing the chicken dance!

Or can you find a young apprentice and make him play with you?
Matter of fact, I have to play that tomorrow at a private Oktoberfest party. They love to dance around!

I did give one of those accordions to someone who is very excited about playing it. We’ll see…..

Back