• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Accordion Jokes?

Gary Larson must have had a thing for accordions. I hadn't seen this one, but when I saw this topic my first thought was his famous cartoon of heaven, being greeted with receiving a harp, and hell, being greeted with an accordion!
Well the harp and hell one is legit, but in this particular comic the accordion was 'shopped in, altering the joke from his original. I think maybe the original just had a live snake? ...I have a complete collection of his panels somewhere, but I'm certainly not about to go searching. šŸ˜„

Well the harp and hell one is legit, but in this particular comic the accordion was 'shopped in, altering the joke from his original. I think maybe the original just had a live snake? ...I have a complete collection of his panels somewhere, but I'm certainly not about to go searching. šŸ˜„
Hah, it looked shopped, and I hadn't seen it before so I was suspect of it. Would love to see what the original object was. Probably not a snake because that would not be very funny.

Hah, it looked shopped, and I hadn't seen it before so I was suspect of it. Would love to see what the original object was. Probably not a snake because that would not be very funny.
Yeah, I mean you're definitely not wrong. But a lot of Farside comics aren't really "laugh out loud" funny, they're maybe a chuckle at best. It's definitely way funnier with ill-favored musical instruments, for sure. I've seen versions where it was a viola (which isn't nearly as funny to me, though come to think of it I guess a viola in the hands of an amateur is decidedly worse than an accordion). And I saw the snake version as well - the reason I think that's probably the original is precisely because it's a lot less funny - I mean, who would replace whatever had been there, with that? šŸ˜„ Stylistically the snake drawing also looked like it could conceivably have been Larson, and it fit with the look of the rest of the panel.

Here's the snake one I found. It was apparently posted to Facebook. But really I only think this is the original because the other two versions that came up from a reverse-image search on the one that was posted here, is the accordion one, the viola one that was also clearly 'shopped, and this one. I really don't know if this is the original version either, it just strikes me as unlikely that the original could've been something even less funny than a snake (a prerequisite to somebody deciding they should replace it with said snake, heh). But people are weird, and there are plenty of people (with access to paint programs and such) who think things are hilarious that aren't remotely funny to me. Could easily have been originally posted to some snake group for all I know lol.

Attachments

• 256864535_10159659238908987_6129593139383878770_n.jpg
    256864535_10159659238908987_6129593139383878770_n.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 32
Yeah, I mean you're definitely not wrong. But a lot of Farside comics aren't really "laugh out loud" funny, they're maybe a chuckle at best. It's definitely way funnier with ill-favored musical instruments, for sure. I've seen versions where it was a viola (which isn't nearly as funny to me, though come to think of it I guess a viola in the hands of an amateur is decidedly worse than an accordion). And I saw the snake version as well - the reason I think that's probably the original is precisely because it's a lot less funny - I mean, who would replace whatever had been there, with that? šŸ˜„ Stylistically the snake drawing also looked like it could conceivably have been Larson, and it fit with the look of the rest of the panel.

Here's the snake one I found. It was apparently posted to Facebook. But really I only think this is the original because the other two versions that came up from a reverse-image search on the one that was posted here, is the accordion one, the viola one that was also clearly 'shopped, and this one. I really don't know if this is the original version either, it just strikes me as unlikely that the original could've been something even less funny than a snake (a prerequisite to somebody deciding they should replace it with said snake, heh). But people are weird, and there are plenty of people (with access to paint programs and such) who think things are hilarious that aren't remotely funny to me. Could easily have been originally posted to some snake group for all I know lol.
Oh, sure, now it's viola jokes...

;)

The "Welcome To Hell, Here's Your Accordion" one is definitely real, though.

It works! The words at the bottom make it funny. Not LOL funny, as you said, but chuckle funny.

Gary Larson must have had a thing for accordions. I hadn't seen this one, but when I saw this topic my first thought was his famous cartoon of heaven, being greeted with receiving a harp, and hell, being greeted with an accordion!
FWIW, he includes that cartoon as among his ā€œpersonal favoritesā€ in his book The PreHistory of the Far Side, A 10th Anniversary Exhibit, page 216:

IMG_0370.jpeg

I also remember one with an accordionist on horseback with the guy leading the charge telling him heā€™d better get his bugle fixed, but I couldnā€™t locate it in any of my Far Side books. I did see several of Larsonā€™s cartoons targeting banjos.

As for jokes about other instruments, Iā€™ve heard a lot over the years. When playing in a orchestra (french horn) it seems there were mostly jokes about saxophones but I donā€™t remember any (maybe since I didnā€™t think they were funny). And my wife could probably make up some about the musical saw - she disliked it so much she didnā€™t even want it in the house!

JKJ

FWIW, he includes that cartoon as among his ā€œpersonal favoritesā€ in his book The PreHistory of the Far Side, A 10th Anniversary Exhibit, page 216:

IMG_0370.jpeg

I also remember one with an accordionist on horseback with the guy leading the charge telling him heā€™d better get his bugle fixed, but I couldnā€™t locate it in any of my Far Side books. I did see several of Larsonā€™s cartoons targeting banjos.

As for jokes about other instruments, Iā€™ve heard a lot over the years. When playing in a orchestra (french horn) it seems there were mostly jokes about saxophones but I donā€™t remember any (maybe since I didnā€™t think they were funny). And my wife could probably make up some about the musical saw - she disliked it so much she didnā€™t even want it in the house!

JKJ
So what's the instrument everyone can agree should be made fun of? Keytar?

Back