• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Accordion Jokes?

The fact that accordions became so derided and mocked in the USA in particular is still amazing to me. A whole generation (sorry Boomers, this is generally you, but not the ones who are here, obviously) went to war with a musical instrument because they thought it was uncool.

Imagine all these cartoons about say, clarinets. The concept is bizarre. (Ok, you can imagine it for bagpipes and for whatever reason, violas. Unfair to noble instruments, but there you are.)

There was a good bit of perhaps "uncool" accordion music (though I'm not sure what's so bad about young and old gathering together to polka, it honestly seems nice in this isolating time), but so what? I personally don't enjoy auto racing, that doesn't mean everyone who does is a fool of some sort.

I've said this before, but when the punk rockers and alternative musicians rebelled against the "Smooth 70s" sound, they didn't BLAME electric guitars and drums for that music, they just played a different kind of music with those instruments.

Maybe a bit too serious for the accordion jokes thread, but I'm not sure there's ever been a fall from grace for a musical instrument quite like the accordion in the USA.

But there is a revival of sorts underway. There are more people taking it up than putting it down, and there is a young generation who never saw or heard all those jokes, and they wonder why some people hate the accordion, because actually, it's cool. When I've played for younger people they're sort of shocked that all that sound is coming from something purely analog, and want to know more about it.

It's all about the predeliction that many people have for being 'part of the crowd' and for being fearful of social isolation if they dare to step outside the current popularity bubble.
Easily led by religions, financial interests and political posturing alike they become like sheep - easily led to the slaughterhouse and happy to be fleeced along the way: The ones so aptly called "sheeple".

It's all about the predeliction that many people have for being 'part of the crowd' and for being fearful of social isolation if they dare to step outside the current popularity bubble.
Easily led by religions, financial interests and political posturing alike they become like sheep - easily led to the slaughterhouse and happy to be fleeced along the way: The ones so aptly called "sheeple".

That sounds like a fine idea for a new t-shirt :)

I'll start: "real sheep play accordion"

(designed to make people ask)

I'm not sure there's ever been a fall from grace for a musical instrument quite like the accordion in the USA.

Well there's the ukulele, and it's almost uncanny how its trajectory matches the accordion. Ubiquitous for decades, then a punchline, then rediscovered by a generation who is too young to remember Arthur Godfrey and Tiny Tim (arguably the Lawrence Welk and Steve Urkel of ukuele).

But in any case, I don't think people make accordion jokes these days out of actual malice or disdain, any more than they make viola jokes or drummer jokes or any other musical jokes that way. It's a gentle kidding, more out of tradition than anything else. A statement more about the stereotype of the instrument and its player than the actual instrument/player.

In actual practice, people think the accordion is pretty cool. Although, even if they didn't, I'd still play it. And I suspect I'm not alone here on that.

The fact that accordions became so derided and mocked in the USA in particular is still amazing to me. A whole generation (sorry Boomers, this is generally you, but not the ones who are here, obviously) went to war with a musical instrument because they thought it was uncool.

Imagine all these cartoons about say, clarinets. The concept is bizarre. (Ok, you can imagine it for bagpipes and for whatever reason, violas. Unfair to noble instruments, but there you are.)

There was a good bit of perhaps "uncool" accordion music (though I'm not sure what's so bad about young and old gathering together to polka, it honestly seems nice in this isolating time), but so what? I personally don't enjoy auto racing, that doesn't mean everyone who does is a fool of some sort.

I've said this before, but when the punk rockers and alternative musicians rebelled against the "Smooth 70s" sound, they didn't BLAME electric guitars and drums for that music, they just played a different kind of music with those instruments.

Maybe a bit too serious for the accordion jokes thread, but I'm not sure there's ever been a fall from grace for a musical instrument quite like the accordion in the USA.

But there is a revival of sorts underway. There are more people taking it up than putting it down, and there is a young generation who never saw or heard all those jokes, and they wonder why some people hate the accordion, because actually, it's cool. When I've played for younger people they're sort of shocked that all that sound is coming from something purely analog, and want to know more about it.
I can’t tell why this happened in the US, but I can tell, why this happened in Poland. Paradoxically, the ubiquity is a very important factor. It was a very popular instrument for street and folk music. But after WWII, folk music in Poland evolved into a genre called „biesiada” - contemporary songs played and sung on weddings and other gatherings, mostly on the province, often with badly mantained, cheap instruments, also often by people with low skill or bad or simple musical taste. This became a synonym of bad music amongst younger people from the cities and was openly ridiculed. It later evolved further into „disco polo”, even more ridiculed in the cities but again, hugely popular in the country. At the same time the explosion of cheap arranger keyboards and later „the DJ culture” pushed the accordion out of the wedding market. Last but not least, for a very long time cities here were plagued by very loud and very bad gypsy accordion buskers, playing on harsh sounding, cheap russian boxes. This is the sound most often associated with the accordion by my friends, who almost always say they dislike or even hate accordion music, untill I play them something on a top tier concertina or introduce them to Klezmer/classical music played on dry tuned Bayans. They are universally deeply surprised by this experience.

The bottom line - people usually have very narrow, very bad experience with accordion music, and very wet tunings on badly mantained accordions literally hurt their ears.

This is by Robert Crumb....a great fan of french music, he does the artwork for Les Primifs du Future....I'd suggest check them out of you like some old school .
He also made a pack of cards featuring cartoons of great musette french accordionists with their histories on the back ....

This is by Robert Crumb....a great fan of french music, he does the artwork for Les Primifs du Future....I'd suggest check them out of you like some old school .
He also made a pack of cards featuring cartoons of great musette french accordionists with their histories on the back ....
Not to mention Fritz the Cat and Keep on Truckin’. Just sayin….

I play recorder too - a beautiful instrument with nearly 1000 years of history. But cheap plastic instruments given to young children in the 1960s-1970s have utterly ruined their reputation. The most popular classical radio station in the UK never plays recorder music - instead playing recorder pieces on flute, and posting recorder 'jokes' on their Facebook page. All very sad, though I get the pleasure of rehabilitating it to the public when our band performs :cool:

Well there's the ukulele, and it's almost uncanny how its trajectory matches the accordion. Ubiquitous for decades, then a punchline, then rediscovered by a generation who is too young to remember Arthur Godfrey and Tiny Tim (arguably the Lawrence Welk and Steve Urkel of ukuele).

But in any case, I don't think people make accordion jokes these days out of actual malice or disdain, any more than they make viola jokes or drummer jokes or any other musical jokes that way. It's a gentle kidding, more out of tradition than anything else. A statement more about the stereotype of the instrument and its player than the actual instrument/player.

In actual practice, people think the accordion is pretty cool. Although, even if they didn't, I'd still play it. And I suspect I'm not alone here on that.
Oh, I'm all for the gentle kidding, and live with drummers, so...

You're probably right about ukuleles. They're a lot easier to make, store and carry around than accordions, generally, so their revival makes sense.

And yes, young people especially seem to think the accordion is really.cool. They're the ones going out and resurrecting old Smith Coronas. I've asked why, and it's to actually write, without the constant distraction and little dopamine hit from the phone. Also, they just look cool.

I can’t tell why this happened in the US, but I can tell, why this happened in Poland. Paradoxically, the ubiquity is a very important factor. It was a very popular instrument for street and folk music. But after WWII, folk music in Poland evolved into a genre called „biesiada” - contemporary songs played and sung on weddings and other gatherings, mostly on the province, often with badly mantained, cheap instruments, also often by people with low skill or bad or simple musical taste. This became a synonym of bad music amongst younger people from the cities and was openly ridiculed. It later evolved further into „disco polo”, even more ridiculed in the cities but again, hugely popular in the country. At the same time the explosion of cheap arranger keyboards and later „the DJ culture” pushed the accordion out of the wedding market. Last but not least, for a very long time cities here were plagued by very loud and very bad gypsy accordion buskers, playing on harsh sounding, cheap russian boxes. This is the sound most often associated with the accordion by my friends, who almost always say they dislike or even hate accordion music, untill I play them something on a top tier concertina or introduce them to Klezmer/classical music played on dry tuned Bayans. They are universally deeply surprised by this experience.

The bottom line - people usually have very narrow, very bad experience with accordion music, and very wet tunings on badly mantained accordions literally hurt their ears.
Well ok, I can definitely see why that happened then. ;)

Well, if we want to take it a little deeper, and maybe away from sheeplike masses, Gary Larson who did the Far Side wasn't what I'd think of as a sheeple. I think he just loved the sight gag of a giant accordion on horseback, etc.

You aren't wrong though, there are things that people "generally" don't like, and many assume that they don't like them, but they've never tried those things, or in the case of accordions, heard them. For instance, among younger people the band to hate is "Nickelback". Now, Nickelback isn't good, but it's not infamously terrible. It's just sort of averagely, boringly, bad in a way that was popular in the mainstream in their heyday. And they were pretty popular, too.

There's probably a dissertation or two in how all this stuff works.

Last edited:
I play recorder too - a beautiful instrument with nearly 1000 years of history. But cheap plastic instruments given to young children in the 1960s-1970s have utterly ruined their reputation. The most popular classical radio station in the UK never plays recorder music - instead playing recorder pieces on flute, and posting recorder 'jokes' on their Facebook page. All very sad, though I get the pleasure of rehabilitating it to the public when our band performs :cool:
Wow, you're kind of a glutton for musical joke punishment. All that really remains is the viola, bagpipes and ukulele. I've heard early music ensembles playing recorders, and it's lovely. The classical station here doesn't seem to have a "thing" about them. They don't feature often, about as often as lutes, but there aren't tons of jokes, either.

I don't have the musical vocabulary to describe this well. I like flutes, whistles, recorders if they're played well. The recorder has an darker "earthier" sound than the flute to me. I like ethereal flute sounds, but they aren't always the right thing.

Wait, you need a lute.

Last edited:
Wow, you're kind of a glutton for musical joke punishment. All that really remains is the viola, bagpipes and ukulele. I've heard early music ensembles playing recorders, and it's lovely. The classical station here doesn't seem to have a "thing" about them. They don't feature often, about as often as lutes, but there aren't tons of jokes, either.

I don't have the musical vocabulary to describe this well. I like flutes, whistles, recorders if they're played well. The recorder has an darker "earthier" sound than the flute to me. I like ethereal flute sounds, but they aren't always the right thing.

Wait, you need a lute.

I play viola, I was in a community orchestra for a while, but frankly most viola parts suck. The violins get all the good tunes. I still play it a bit, mostly laying down harmony on recordings.

I had a lute, it made my wrist ache and I spent more time tuning it than playing it - 8 "course", so fifteen strings to tune! I swapped to mandocello, buying one that looks "somewhat mediaeval" to the uneducated eye. Half the strings and has relatively easy chord shapes.

st-marys - 1.jpeg

I play viola, I was in a community orchestra for a while, but frankly most viola parts suck. The violins get all the good tunes. I still play it a bit, mostly laying down harmony on recordings.

I had a lute, it made my wrist ache and I spent more time tuning it than playing it - 8 "course", so fifteen strings to tune! I swapped to mandocello, buying one that looks "somewhat mediaeval" to the uneducated eye. Half the strings and has relatively easy chord shapes.

st-marys - 1.jpeg
Rosie, you have the best hat on the forum!!!!

Back