• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

First time playing to a large group out side

Graeme

Reaction score
I've been volunteered to lead a song song and play a few songs for my caravan site summer knees up; outside to about 30 people end of this month. I have previously only played for about ten people at similar indoor singling sessions and folk clubs.

Will I need to amplify the accordion out doors?
Any tips for getting over nerves playing to a bigger group?

On a bit of a learning curve

Congrats and best of luck Graeme! Of course it depends on the ambient noise level and volume of the singers where you are playing. If it’s a quiet spot, and the audience is pretty close in you probably won’t need an amplifier. Although with a good setup you could probably improve your sound. But that’s a whole ‘nuther thing to think about for your first outside gig. I didn’t use amplification for the farmers market I play at.

As for nerves, that’s a tough one. Total familiarity with the music you play helps a lot. If you have a choice, pick songs you can play with your eyes close forwards and backwards! If you don’t, work on your given songs as much as you can. Try to connect well with the singers before you start, smile, and pretend you’re on your practice room.

Good luck, send pictures! 😉

Last edited:
Caravan.. OK then, possibly situate yourself with your
back between a big, flat sided old Winnebago, and your
audience. This way some of your sound, will be reflected
off the Winnie and re-inforce the sound heading to their ears

aa nice tree canopy not too high above you can help
keep some sound from heading off into infinity.. or an easy-up
if one is handy helps a bit too

if the area is not flat, have them sitting on the upward slope
rather than them being downhill

have fun !

Hope you enjoy it!

About getting over nerves: Many people play totally successfully even while still being nervous, I guess what matters is not being TOO nervous.
For that I agree with @Tom. Also don't obsess over mistakes if you make any - a lot of audience people do not notice/get bothered by them as much as the player. If it bothers you too much you may get stalled and lose track, so maybe just move on and try to be entertaining. 😁

I'd also avoid overcomplicated pieces, better to keep it simple as much as possible especially if it's a first time for you in that kind of setting.

A pro live accordion player I like (Bebe Kramer) usually has some beer in between pieces, I can see it takes the edge off for him!

I've been volunteered to lead a song song and play a few songs for my caravan site summer knees up; outside to about 30 people end of this month. I have previously only played for about ten people at similar indoor singling sessions and folk clubs.

Will I need to amplify the accordion out doors?
Any tips for getting over nerves playing to a bigger group?

On a bit of a learning curve
First of all, yes you will need to amplify the accordion. But you may get away with a mic on a stand left and right and then speakers somewhat further away. No need to have mics installed inside the accordion.
As for getting over your nerves, the main consideration is to play less difficult songs than what you actually can manage. When it's easy you should not be nervous. I played an easy song at a venue with 10.000 people. No problem. I have only been a bit nervous when playing a difficult song (and for only a few hundred people.

so maybe just move on and try to be entertaining. 😁
At our end of year concert (many years ago), I was so confident I didn't even bring the sheet music.
As soon as I sat before the audience, however, my mind went entirely blank: I couldn't remember a thing!
I automatically started to vocalise my predicament and discovered an unsuspected talent for stand up comedy 😄.
Soon the audience were in fits of laughter!
Indeed, things went so well, half the audience were convinced this had actually been my intended act all along and they sent me off with the longest applause of the night.😄
I never omitted to bring my music again!🙂

Last edited:
... started to vocalise my predicament and discovered an unsuspected talent for stand up comedy 😄.
Soon the audience were in fits of laughter!
Indeed, things went so well, half the audience were convinced this had actually been my intended act all along and they sent me off with the longest applause of the night...

Please tell me you have a video of that!

JKJ

This is the art .....make people believe in you and next thing before you know it they believe in the accordion too ♥️
I get most of my gigs cos people wanna be entertained by me not the accordion 🪗....
Humble yourself and let the audience open the door....🙏

"What's the deal with accordion jokes? They always seem to fold under pressure!"
Playing for 10 people or 10,000 people feels about the same for me... we are always going to be nervous, its how you handle it that makes the difference.

Want a joke for the audience? Steal the one that I stole from Ed (just changed for your circumstances), it breaks the ice and off you go!

"Hey folks, yes I know you were likely expecting a banjo or some bagpipes, sorry to disappoint you..."
**flick a few of your registers like you are looking for something
"oh, you're wondering what I am doing? Not sure, but every time I press one of these buttons, someone's tip-out slides back in to their motorhome!"
:D

Playing for 10 people or 10,000 people feels about the same for me... we are always going to be nervous, its how you handle it that makes the difference.

Ah, I'm a little different. I've played gigs with 250-500 people and didn't feel particularly nervous, beyond just wanting to play well. But my last gig was at our local pub - it was a hot night and we played outside on the veranda rather than on the stage. There were only maybe 20 customers and they were sat around us, close enough to chat with us between songs and I found it quite uncomfortable - I wasn't able to block them out as an amorphous block.

Ah, I'm a little different. I've played gigs with 250-500 people and didn't feel particularly nervous, beyond just wanting to play well. But my last gig was at our local pub - it was a hot night and we played outside on the veranda rather than on the stage. There were only maybe 20 customers and they were sat around us, close enough to chat with us between songs and I found it quite uncomfortable - I wasn't able to block them out as an amorphous block.
With one of my quintets we played in such an uncomfortable setup, although inside. It was in a venue that could probably comfortably seat 40 people and it was packed with close to 100. The first row of people sat so close that they could have reached for our keyboard or bass buttons if they wanted. Playing was no problem. But two days later I tested positive for Covid (for the first time). That's what I call uncomfortable.

The thing you have to keep in mind is that the audience draws attention and focus. There is no point in playing pieces you have mastered 100% (unless you are autistic but then why bother?). You need 130%. Don't play stuff you started working on two weeks ago. Shoo-ins don't work. How do you even get to check for 130%? Try recording yourself. That tends to make you annoyingly self-conscious, a good first step.

Here is the good news: those extra 20%-30% of focus you need for the audience? If you play it well, it can cover for a lot of what you lose in concentration for playing, making the audience feel well entertained in spite of less than perfect play. Think up a few good jokes fitting the setup in advance (you have no time to think before the audience). Stuff to relate.

good luck
depending on the situation - but I probably would only amplify your vocals to lift them over the accordion

good luck
depending on the situation - but I probably would only amplify your vocals to lift them over the accordion
I guess that depends on voice, accordion, and accompaniment style. When I switched to alto singing, I picked up accordion in order to have the accompaniment carry better than I could make my kind of fingerstyle guitar play do. Of course such choices tend to develop a life of their own.

thats funny in a way..

back in the days when local bands gigged a lot, steady gigs
multiple nights, the "4th set" of the evening was typically
used to try/learn new songs.. the latest HIT parade stuff.. the newest
San Remo or Eurovision winner.. whatever would have caught
the collective ear of "typical" working pro's

one member of the band obviously would have worked on it
a bit before they said "hey lets try this one" but typically no-one
in audience could ever tell it was a first run through.. a chart may
have been prepared and tossed on the music stand, or it might
all be "by ear" for obvious and simple POP stuff, but back then
no-one had time to practice or gather for rehearsal as we all
had day jobs plus 6 or 8 gigs a week..

and what about requests ? will you guys only play a requested song
if you actually know it ? but wait, the awesomness of an ACCORDION
is that it is a full band in and of itself, and a good BOX man kinda should
be able to fake their way through any song/melody they can hear inside
their head (and make that customer happy)

so i say go for it.. play anything that pops into your heart as the
next best idea during your gig.. if YOU are having fun THEY certainly will

often, our song choices are because we too are "fans" of the music,
and we are lucky to be able to share our love for and enthusiasm for
a particular song or artist with our fingers, our squeeze, and our
interpretation..

With one of my quintets we played in such an uncomfortable setup, although inside. It was in a venue that could probably comfortably seat 40 people and it was packed with close to 100. The first row of people sat so close that they could have reached for our keyboard or bass buttons if they wanted. Playing was no problem. But two days later I tested positive for Covid (for the first time). That's what I call uncomfortable.
this covid has not gone away ..............................You still have to be careful

this covid has not gone away ..............................You still have to be careful
Very true. Since that time we have always kept a bit more distance between the audience and ourselves, but there is the odd cramped venue where Covid is still a real threat.

Back