• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Is a digital accordion a good choice?

I don't have any experience with a Roland, although I am tempted to get one. If I can pose a question - once you've learned to a reasonable level, have you a plan of what you'd like to perform and where to play it? That might determine which is the better option. I mostly play Morris dance music, and I didn't really see an electronic instrument fitting in very well. In fact the instrument I've seen that really fitted the genre/setting best was a 1950s Hohner Student VM in gold and red. If I played different music I'd probably have one by now!
My experience with both acoustic and digital is that anywhere you need an accordion sound, you can use either. There are many here that find the difference between the two quite severe but I am not one of them.

Last edited:
I play my 4x with a bk7m backing module, think one man band sort of setup. Every time I’ve played out, people, even seasoned musicians have said how cool it is. The bk adds a level of complexity to playing but lots of practice helps.
Some people will say it’s not real or authentic or whatever and I’m ok with that, I know several acoustic players that I think sound wonderful but it’s a case of each to his or her own. My setup works for me and so far as I can tell, my audience too.
I don’t think there’s a right or wrong here and whatever anyone does, if it gets you playing and other people enjoy it then really, what does it matter.

I don't have any experience with a Roland, although I am tempted to get one. If I can pose a question - once you've learned to a reasonable level, have you a plan of what you'd like to perform and where to play it? That might determine which is the better option.

I guess that my main goal is to just play for my own enjoyment, much like I play the piano today. I have no interest in "performing", but I could see myself playing for family etc if I get to a level where it would be enjoyable to listen to. After all, an accordion can certainly set a good mood under the right circumstances when the setting is correct.

Regarding songs, it will probably be a mix of different stuff, but nothing "too" classical or advanced. So some of the more familiar shantys, a few waltzes (definantly some of Yann's pieces from Amelie when the time comes), and maybe some accordion versions of popular music. Probably some gaming music as well. I would certainly enjoy being able to play a reel or two, though I suspect the speed they require makes them much harder to play than they first may seem. So those will probably be best avoided for some time. The first period will probably be a mix of just "programming" the fingers to automatically go where they need to, and learning simple songs to get a feel of progression.

I think part of the enjoyment I expect to get out of the instrument is to explore how I can arrange and play different songs I like, much like I use the piano today. I find that playing an instrument is very rewarding in itself, and it doesn't really matter if I play for somebody else or just for my own enjoyment. That is also a factor in landing on a digital I suppose; it would hamper the process if I needed to force anyone to listen whenever I practice.

I think part of the enjoyment I expect to get out of the instrument is to explore how I can arrange and play different songs I like, much like I use the piano today. I find that playing an instrument is very rewarding in itself, and it doesn't really matter if I play for somebody else or just for my own enjoyment. That is also a factor in landing on a digital I suppose; it would hamper the process if I needed to force anyone to listen whenever I practice.
On the other hand, if you play for your own enjoyment, with a digital instrument you can get skilled while with an acoustic instrument you can get intimate. You feel what is happening and can finetune your reaction and approach to it. Digital does not have that totality and granularity of its response. Listeners might not care or notice the difference. You may.

TO: original poster Duckling above

Please do me a favor and just get an accordion - Any Accordion- and stop fantasizing in this thread and start playing for Gods sake!

Regards,
RTW

Regarding songs, it will probably be a mix of different stuff, but nothing "too" classical or advanced. So some of the more familiar shantys, a few waltzes (definantly some of Yann's pieces from Amelie when the time comes), and maybe some accordion versions of popular music.

Re. 'nothing too advanced'. My music teacher has a saying "easy arrangements played well", and it's served me well over the recent years. She expanded that she's seen so many amateur musicians attempting to perform pieces that are a bit beyond their ability, and they'd be much better tackling an easy piece and doing a really good job of it.

Dear Duckling
It'd be nice to know what, if anything, you have found helpful in the answers to your question.
Whatever the case, this is probably the widest response from Roland players and their detractors - and useful to others looking for advice.
This forum has the lowest proportion of smart-alec, put-you-down, know-it-all posters in the cyberworld.
My modest advice: No such thing as a stupid question. Keep them coming.
As for: " it would hamper the process if........" Too right! With a Roland you will discover the delight in making a mistake for the n'th time - and nobody knows.
Finally:
All the things you list are possible on a button FR1XB - and more besides.

Please do me a favor and just get an accordion - Any Accordion- and stop fantasizing in this thread and start playing for Gods sake!
It's kind of like the question what clothes are best for travelling around the world.

You'll find out.

I guess that my main goal is to just play for my own enjoyment, much like I play the piano today. I have no interest in "performing", but I could see myself playing for family etc if I get to a level where it would be enjoyable to listen to. After all, an accordion can certainly set a good mood under the right circumstances when the setting is correct.

Regarding songs, it will probably be a mix of different stuff, but nothing "too" classical or advanced. So some of the more familiar shantys, a few waltzes (definantly some of Yann's pieces from Amelie when the time comes), and maybe some accordion versions of popular music. Probably some gaming music as well. I would certainly enjoy being able to play a reel or two, though I suspect the speed they require makes them much harder to play than they first may seem. So those will probably be best avoided for some time. The first period will probably be a mix of just "programming" the fingers to automatically go where they need to, and learning simple songs to get a feel of progression.

You go Duckling!

I share the sentiment you express in this post. I play for the joy of playing. I can be quite decent with diligent practice, but in 60 years have not yet managed stage fright well.

Jigs and reels are great fun as are polkas, but I've yet to master playing well in public while stiff with nerves. It has been so for me since I was in a 4th grade talent show. I'm envious, reading of others here who are dedicated accordion performers while I chafe with a crisis of public speaking and performance.

You go Duckling!

I share the sentiment you express in this post. I play for the joy of playing. I can be quite decent with diligent practice, but in 60 years have not yet managed stage fright well.

Jigs and reels are great fun as are polkas, but I've yet to master playing well in public while stiff with nerves. It has been so for me since I was in a 4th grade talent show. I'm envious, reading of others here who are dedicated accordion performers while I chafe with a crisis of public speaking and performance.
My advice is to start slow. Look for a nursing home, senior meal site, disability center, etc. where you will be so appreciated, and your performance will be secondary to your presence. This is a good way to get used to playing for people in a very stress free way. Once you feel comfortable you can look for the type of venue you want to play.

Re. 'nothing too advanced'. My music teacher has a saying "easy arrangements played well", and it's served me well over the recent years. She expanded that she's seen so many amateur musicians attempting to perform pieces that are a bit beyond their ability, and they'd be much better tackling an easy piece and doing a really good job of it.

Oh I certainly agree with this, and in no way am I expecting to be able to pull of intermediate and advanced songs right of the bat. Still, I do believe that it can be useful to practice a song that is slightly above one's skill level for several reasons. It can be motivational to feel a progress over time, and you can practice it at a slow pace to get familiar with how to actually play it. That being said, I will definantly start with the basics, like scales and appregios, and simpler children's songs. Besides, "simple" does not mean boring, and there is certainly a difference between just playing the correct notes versus actually conveying the music.

Regards,
RTW

Yes, yes, I get what you mean. But fantasies are so much fun, arn't they? I guess I already knew more or less what I would end up with, but as this is a new field for me I thought it would be a good move to get some input from the ones who have more experience than me. Just in case there was a large concensus that a digital is useless, and I was about to make a huge mistake.

I appreciate all the input, I feel I have more knowledge about the subject now. Enough to know that I can accept the shortcomings of a digital at least. So I am now in the "waiting for the right accordion to pop up" phase, and will make a move then.

I appreciate all the input, I feel I have more knowledge about the subject now. Enough to know that I can accept the shortcomings of a digital at least. So I am now in the "waiting for the right accordion to pop up" phase, and will make a move then.
Don’t wait, that’s a waste of time. Do your research, set your budget, set goals and make it happen. Search for it.

Last year I decided to stop waiting for my Gola to find me, I went searched THE WORLD and found it… and then did everything necessary to make it happen including flying from Montreal Quebec to Amsterdam Netherlands to bring my baby home.

You don’t have to go hog wild like I did, but waiting for the universe to bring you your perfect accordion means you will waste a lifetime waiting for something that won’t ever happen.

Country flag

Regards,
RTW
RESPONSE BY DUCKLING: Yes, yes, I get what you mean. But fantasies are so much fun, arn't they? I guess I already knew more or less what I would end up with, but as this is a new field for me I thought it would be a good move to get some input from the ones who have more experience than me. Just in case there was a large concensus that a digital is useless, and I was about to make a huge mistake.

BY RTW: This newbie ( Duckling from Norway - BTW Ive been to Scandinavian countries half dozen times and know what he /she is up to) ) in my opinion this a fraud newbie poster attempting to fuel the fire between digital accordions vs acoustic accordions debate

Sorry, but this excellent site for the Accordion opinions is being scammed and there is NO accordion in Ducklings future in reality. That said, please note how he is stringing everyone along in type in past pos after post and Never actually taking the time to try out accordions

Regards,
RTW

Country flag

RESPONSE BY DUCKLING: Yes, yes, I get what you mean. But fantasies are so much fun, arn't they? I guess I already knew more or less what I would end up with, but as this is a new field for me I thought it would be a good move to get some input from the ones who have more experience than me. Just in case there was a large concensus that a digital is useless, and I was about to make a huge mistake.

BY RTW: This newbie ( Duckling from Norway - BTW Ive been to Scandinavian countries half dozen times and know what he /she is up to) ) in my opinion this a fraud newbie poster attempting to fuel the fire between digital accordions vs acoustic accordions debate

Sorry, but this excellent site for the Accordion opinions is being scammed and there is NO accordion in Ducklings future in reality. That said, please note how he is stringing everyone along in type in past pos after post and Never actually taking the time to try out accordions

Regards,
RTW
All seems pretty legit to me.
I can't see how anyone is being scammed.

Good to see that recently arrived members are sharp enough to see what is really going on.
Some of us have been here more than a decade and we hadn't noticed we were being taken for a ride.
What a relief!

Oh no, you saw right through my cunning plan! For years I have plotted to find a way to rid the world of accordions, and I have just now initiated my master plan to divide you and turn you all against each other. First by digital vs acoustic, and next I was going to aim for PA vs CBA-B vs CBA-C, before splitting you against each individual accordion producer. And in the end you would have no choice left but taking up a REAL instrument!

On a more serious note, I have only been able to find a few stores in the whole country which actually has any accordion at all in stock, and digitals are even more scarse. History of used listings does show that used digitals pops up every now and then though. Given that a new digital costs about 2200 usd, used is definantly the way to go as I see it. It's not really an issue though. I am an overthinker, and so I can patiently wait a bit longer until I start this particular journey. At least now I know where I want to travel.

I guess the popularity around here really has dwindled, as most listings for used accordions seem to be from people who are selling it after a relative passed, and it has been stored in an attic or basement forever. Maybe it is because most young people only assosiates it with a very specific type of music, and so they have never seen the real potential of the instrument? But that is a digression.

By the way, does anyone have any input as to if a FR-3x is better or worse than a fr-1x? I stumbled across one in the listings, but from what I can see the only current models are the 1x, 4x and 8x. So I am not sure if the 3x is "between" the 1x and 4x, or if it is outdated and should be avoided?

The 3x was produced in the same time slot as the 1x. Essentially it's just bigger than the 1x but the same technology. The 8x is a full-scale full-featured instrument from the same generation, the 4x is a smaller full-featured instrument from a followup generation.

Just be sure to recognize the instruments without an x: those are decidedly older.

Back