• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Russian Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn

Been here for ages!
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Here is something Ive just done to try out the Soundcloud service Ive just signed up for as Accorman

Comments and criticisms are absolutely welcome.

From my own perspective the recording was a bit wonky. I should sit more straight on to the microphone.

From the playing perspective you hear every small playing issue (there are lots of them even in this small piece). Still it is good practise.
Why does sitting in front of a microphone make you play worse?
Is it a law of nature?

I love it, well played. You got the gist of it. Im certainly no expert, but being neighbours with Russia, this kind of music speaks to us here. Apropos, heres something I found today, seems easy enough to learn:

Not to hijack your thread or anything..

That's a very nice piece.
I have no Russian music repertoire at all and was only really trying to make a clichéd guess at how it should go.
If you can point me towards some good sources that would be interesting.
I once downloaded a large folder of classical Russian accordion for a very high level player. I was all ready to have a go at the easy bits but every piece was marked up in Cyrillic and I can't read chord symbols in that.

I absolutely loved it. I would love to learn some Russian music! It sounds so beautiful. I'd have no idea where to start though - maybe with the tune mjh posted :D ... mjh... that's my dad's initials

Glenn, and here I was about to ask you for any resources. Many of the classic Finnish schlager songs are of Russian origin, schlager is the music genre of most middle-aged and up folks here. Many of those songs just dont sound very Russian anymore, nor very good :P But damn if I could name any of the original Russian songs. Theres bound to be a resource on the net somewhere.

Pippa, On the Hills of Manchuria (На сопках Манчжурии) sounds like it could be relatively easy to learn too. Im sure you recognise it, its that famous :) Quite a coincidence with the initials!

Is this not also Otchichonya or Les Yeux Noir ?....I have a chord pattern for this for a Gypsy Jazz version ....I really like Russian tunes....well played by the way :D

Well this one is certainly Russian but not sure if it is Russian music.
By the way, the sound he is getting from his accordion is superb.

Glenn said:
Why does sitting in front of a microphone make you play worse?
Is it a law of nature?

It must be. The microphone affects me even more than a human listener - perhaps its like a concentrated audience.

However. Thats lovely playing, with a real Russian feel (to my nonRussian ears, anyway).

mjh said:
Pippa, On the Hills of Manchuria (На сопках Манчжурии) sounds like it could be relatively easy to learn too. Im sure you recognise it, its that famous :) Quite a coincidence with the initials!

Aka Manchurian Waltz, Mongolian Waltz or Waltzing to Mongolia/Manchuria.... its not all that difficult, and great fun to play. I think it would make an excellent Tune of the Month (I like playing it with lots of Ham & Cheese). Ive got the notes somewhere.

Good stuff Glenn.. and interestingly this worked on my PC - which Soundcloud usually doesn't.
And I'd avoid sitting straight on the mic - little uncomfortable. :D

Very nice performance Glenn, and the accordion sounds very high quality.
I play some Russian material however not that well, I need to check out the Soundcloud, is it available to us yanks ? I may just get up the nerve to post a tune :shock:

Don Roberts said:
Very nice performance Glenn, and the accordion sounds very high quality.
I play some Russian material however not that well, I need to check out the Soundcloud, is it available to us yanks ? I may just get up the nerve to post a tune :shock:
Thanks Don.
As for being available to Yanks.....
It is probably made by Yanks for Yanks.
We Limeys are merely hanging on to agood thing.

Glenn, I couldnt access your clip on my smartphone (obviously not that smart) so I'll wait till I take my laptop to the library where hopefully I can listen to it.

Mjh, I thought that tune was haumtingly beautiful. Is that you playing? I love pieces that have no strict tempo, it allows for such a freedom of expression. I want to learn that tune and would really like to have the music and chords, do you have it?

Russian music is really soulfull. My only connection is the modern version of 'Midnight in Moscow', which I first heard a jazzed up version in London played by Ackor Bilk and his jazz men. I later heard this in Leningrad when I was there in 1964. I bought a record of it sung by a russian tenor. Deep stuff...

What is the accordion being played.

Thanks again Mjh. I would love to be pointed towards a collection of (easy) russion tunes. Slower tunes rather than kick your heels up!

Nathen

Hi Nathan,

I can drop you a copy of the piece I played if you would like but you'll have to look elsewhere for the others.
I agree with you, the romantic over the top Russian music is very powerful when you are in the mood.

Thanks Glenn, that would be great to get a copy.

I would like to be on the lookout for an accordion that would really suit Russian music, any suggestions for makes and tunings? We are talking used here, to suit my present budget.

Since I started back playing I bought a 120 bass compact lightweight Hohner because it was such a good deal. However, I find it's ideal for my smallish hands especially my right which I injured whilst building my house, limiting my spread. From now on I'm only buying compacts.

So, when they make accordions do they also make compacts of their models?

Nathen

Hi Nathan,
From my catalogue hunting in the days I was selecting an accordion I noted that many of the 120 instruments had a compact version. Usually these cost a bit more and you lost 1kg in weight. Not sure you will find many of these on the second hasnd market though.

Nathen, havent been able to find the sheet music for that song online or offline. There is one book I found, but its sold out. I think the man in the video plays mostly by ear. No clue as to the make of the accordion. I guess well just have to wait for a potential Russian forum member to turn up and guide us further in the matter of Russian romance songs!

Thanks Glenn, at least I know they did make them. It's interesting that out of the three accordions I have, two happen to be compacts. Luck of the draw I guess, and I seem to be very lucky when I'm looking for something!

Thanks for the Russian free sheets TW. You just can't have too many music sheet resources.

Mjh, I've been listening to your youtube clip, and it's beginning to grow on me. I first learned to play the mouth organ by ear, and found that I could pick up tunes really easily. My father was a professional piano player and taught me a few chords and basic left hand harmony in the key of Eb which was his favourite key. Many of the forties songs were in that key. Armed with three chords of Eb6 aka Cm7, Bb7 and Ab6 aka Fm7, I could bash out a lot of songs. This meant free beer in local pubs. Mind you, I would wait till everyone had had a few drinks first!

I never really learnt the dots till I was in my late twenties. The dots are useful to get the basic outline, and then I drop them and let my body and senses take over. Each time I play something it's totally different. This follows on from your interesting discussion George about the difference between playing by ear and dot reading. Certainly a knowledge of how music is made up is a definite advantage. However, playing by ear allows you to immerse yourself in your own sense of who you are, and how you present yourself to the world through your music.

The Universe is made up of vibratory phenomena, every atom and cell vibrates. How fortunate we are as musicians to be able to express our innermost being through our chosen music.

I really got in contact with my own connection to this world I live in when I lived in an Ashram (monastry, sort of). I was given an instrument that looked and sounded like a sitar, but had only four strings that were not fingered but only plucked. I played it during the 45 mins meditations. Sometimes they were silent, or mantras were chanted, or they were humming meditafions. I really learned the power sound has for us. I think the accordion is one of the most versatile instruments there is.

Yup, I guess we're pretty lucky having this instrument to beathe through.

Nathen

Nathen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back