• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Beltuna Accordion

Dano458

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just purchased a really beautiful, mint shape Beltuna Spirt IV 120 p Luxury. It's about 3 years old, and lightly played.

I was wondering if someone could please explain the differences between the Beltuna Spirt vs. the Beltuna Leader, and also, would you please explain Amplisound to me.

I've included some photos. Thank you for your time and answers. Dano

Attachments

• 20240113_193022.jpg
    20240113_193022.jpg
    376.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240113_163256.jpg
    20240113_163256.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240113_163314.jpg
    20240113_163314.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 38
  • 20240113_163341.jpg
    20240113_163341.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240113_163401.jpg
    20240113_163401.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 37
Not sure of the difference between leader and spirit but, spirit is the top of their line.
Congratulations on a beautiful instrument. I hope you post a video of the accordion in action soon. I see it has a two reed musette. Do you know how many cents apart the reeds are tuned?

Thank you for your reply. I'm sorry, I do not know the answer to your question. In my past experience, there are so many strong technical individuals that contribute to this forum, I'm sure someone will surely know.

Happy New Year. Dano

Hi Dano
Congratulations to this beauty.
I very much like Beltuna - especially when they come with a tuning on the dry side.
Many happy hours with your new buddy.

Thank you both for your replies. I'm super excited to own this very fine crafted accordion, and look forward to enjoying it for years to come.

Other than understanding the quality level of the Beltuna product, I would be interested in opinions relative to why many feel Beltuna is an outstanding accordion.

Thank you in advance for your time and knowledge.

Dano

Amplisound is an extra chamber added to the back of the cassotto. It can be opened and closed with a switch that looks like a register switch. Do a Google images search to find pictures of it. The extra chamber needs to be (temporarily) removed in order to get to the reeds for tuning.

Thank you for replying. I'm not sure where this with would be on this accordion. Please advise.

Attachments

• 20240113_163546.jpg
    20240113_163546.jpg
    305.1 KB · Views: 14
Thank you for replying. I'm not sure where this with would be on this accordion. Please advise.
I have seen two versions: one where the first register switch opens the amplisound and the last register switch closes it, and another version where it is a slider just above the row of register switches (in the center). If you do an images search on Google you will find pictures of both versions.

Is it possible this accordion has full time amplisound? I looked at another identical Beltuna Spirit IV 120p Luxury being advertised with amplisound, and the switches are identical to mine.

Attachments

• 20240114_152528.jpg
    20240114_152528.jpg
    391.7 KB · Views: 3
The Spirit has a "fixed" amplisound so it is permanently "on" and cannot create the mute-like on/off variation of tone that the Leader can (that has a variable amplisound) as @debra described above. However, the Spirit is, in my opinion the smoother and mellower toned instrument (slightly). I had a loan of both models for an extended time not long ago and that was my impression anyway.

There is no perfect accordion and we can all have our own views on the positives and negatives of any instrument. I played the Beltuna Spirit IV 108 M (musette) Classic finish and found it be one of the best accordions I have played. It had a beautifully balanced tone, both treble and bass, with judicious selection of the treble registers (9 switches and a silent switch - for a musette accordion that's a thoughtful finish!) silky keyboard and excellent neat dimensions.

I think Beltuna's greatest asset is their attention to detail that is manifest in its innovation, such as amplisound and GHV reed treatment.

The only thing I am less keen on is I am slightly wary of painted finishes on accordions. I'm an old fashioned celluloid fan and have seen painted finishes get damaged and I believe that they are not as easy to repair as celluloid. Secondly, I wouldn't buy a free bass Beltuna as I only like fully mechanical accordions (again, I'm old fashioned).

Last edited:
The only thing I am less keen on is I am slightly wary of painted finishes on accordions. I'm an old fashioned celluloid fan and have seen painted finishes get damaged and I believe that they are not as easy to repair as celluloid. Secondly, I wouldn't buy a free bass Beltuna as I only like fully mechanical accordions (again, I'm old fashioned).
Don't they have mechanical versions, too? I sort of agree since I am currently reeducating my bass hand to make use of the mechanical linkage by not using mere on/off phrasing. Sort of a long journey since it currently requires me to work out the left hand separately so that I can develop its phrasing before focusing on the treble. I think I'd go crazy when trying to do that and getting a coarsely stepped result without even being able to feel where the steps are.

Also, if that kind of electronics stops working, it stops working. Talk about "not as easy to repair" indeed.

Thank you so much for clarifying the amplisound issue for me. I had never experienced a Beltuna accordion, although I haven't seen that many, without the ability to turn the amplisound on or off. I will say, the few that I have played, sounded to me, so much more rich with it on. I can understand personal preference, but for me, this is fantastic news. Have a wonderful day.

Dano

Don't they have mechanical versions, too? I sort of agree since I am currently reeducating my bass hand to make use of the mechanical linkage by not using mere on/off phrasing. Sort of a long journey since it currently requires me to work out the left hand separately so that I can develop its phrasing before focusing on the treble. I think I'd go crazy when trying to do that and getting a coarsely stepped result without even being able to feel where the steps are.

Also, if that kind of electronics stops working, it stops working. Talk about "not as easy to repair" indeed.
Beltuna's free bass converter accordions all employ solenoid valve technology. They have stopped making full mechanical free bass instruments.

However, as far as stradella bass accordions go, I think the Beltuna Spirit is superlative.

Beltuna's free bass converter accordions all employ solenoid valve technology. They have stopped making full mechanical free bass instruments.
Well, the world is about choice. If they specialize on this technology, they'll likely end up being the market leader. For this market segment. That may give them the means to make this development go quite some distance. I certainly will be watching this with interest, even if my money will not make me a customer while the instruments are hot, and when they are old, who knows whether they won't be bricked more often than not.

However, as far as stradella bass accordions go, I think the Beltuna Spirit is superlative.
Hey, I'd like for this option to stay around as well. Not because I could pay it, but because some people may who make it worth the price.

I believe the Prestige, Leader and Spirit are the three levels of professional accordions offered by Beltuna, in order of cost. I think the amplisound switch is only offered on the Leader line.

With the Spirit being the top end of the 3 I believe.
I was wondering why it would then not be the one with switchable Amplisound. Possible answers I came up with:

a) The switching mechanism might not be entirely reliable so they are removing a possible problem point.
b) they don't want the choice in order to avoid listeners saying "I've heard the Spirit and its cassotto sound wasn't as pronounced as Bugari's" (say) because the player chose not to use the Amplisound.
c) weight/space reasons
d) the Goldilucks effect: the switchable Amplisound is either too much or too little, the Spirit has it just right
e) the switchable Amplisound cannot be as strong as a fixed Amplisound

Last edited:
I was wondering why it would then not be the one with switchable Amplisound. Possible answers I came up with:

a) The switching mechanism might not be entirely reliable so they are removing a possible problem point.
b) they don't want the choice in order to avoid listeners saying "I've heard the Spirit and its cassotto sound wasn't as pronounced as Bugari's" (say) because the player chose not to use the Amplisound.
c) weight/space reasons
d) the Goldilucks effect: the switchable Amplisound is either too much or too little, the Spirit has it just right
e) the switchable Amplisound cannot be as strong as a fixed Amplisound

The Spirit is generally a little more expensive than the Leader. The finishing of the Spirit is a bit more "de luxe" with the Swarovski crystal and real mother of pearl inlay. Both can have extravagant paint work. I guess Beltuna wants to use different types of technology on different models. Maybe wealthy retired dentists collectors like having both versions.

Back