• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

2024 Market Goals

True enough, thanks. I repeated songs last year, and it was fine for the customers. However, there are also the vendors and….me.
exactly

what we do impacts everyone within "the sound of my voice"
and being considerate enough to at least try to do your best for
EVERYONE
is what makes a Pro a Pro

In a general performance (like in a cocktail) you dont have to play every song once. People want to hear good music (you suit that with your experience). This is the same about busking too. You can change the order and mix the same songs. A listeners time frame is small while talking and drinking wine or in busking, coming, listening and go. A good song can always be repeated a lot of times back to back either (reprise). Repertoire can contain maybe 15-20 best selected songs. That will be enough with audience effective songs. For long periods, you select a speedy song then a slow one, helping yourself to rest.
i absolutely do not agree with your position

customers are not stupid, i would never assume their indifference,
and even for some impromptu session i would never repeat anything
unless it were a sincere request from someone in the audience..

of course i admit it is easier for me, since i could probably still play
1000 songs from memory.. my biggest challenge is remembering
the titles and key, not the songs.. so playing for a 3 day Italian Wedding
weekend in the Pocono's without a repeat is still fine with me..
(excepting, as i said, specific requests) piece of cake

dumbing a setlist and performance down just because
(you think) you can get away with it is not even remotely
acceptable in my book

doing ones absolute BEST every single time whether it is
a $500 gig or a freebie in a Nursing Home is the way we
rolled growing up and cutting our chops in Pittsburgh Pa.
in the 1960's and 70's

yes, excellent choices.. assuming your audience is intelligent and
could handle and appreciate being kept "in the loop" of your
intentions and flow

I wouldn't have done it another time. But this was an unusual event - advertised as a "sing-a-long" traditional carol event, and held in the tap-room of our local brewery (meadery) just before Christmas. The mead was flowing and I don't think anyone minded us repeating, and finishing early would have definitely caused more disappointment. We've already been booked for Christmas 2024, so the hunt is on for more traditional Christmas songs!

acceptable in my book

in the 1960's and 70's
Thanks Ventura! Well, now I am up to ~ 30. I have a long way to go to reach your 1000 but I believe you started *a little* before me! 🤣. I will admit to playing simple songs, but I will not “dumb down.” I enjoy taking a simple song like Camptown Races or Carnival of Venice and making it fun. Plus my sight reading is improving so I can add more if I run out of memorized.

I wouldn't have done it another time. But this was an unusual event - advertised as a "sing-a-long" traditional carol event, and held in the tap-room of our local brewery (meadery) just before Christmas. The mead was flowing and I don't think anyone minded us repeating, and finishing early would have definitely caused more disappointment. We've already been booked for Christmas 2024, so the hunt is on for more traditional Christmas songs!
Good luck, you’ve got time!

acceptable in my book

in the 1960's and 70's
This is not cheating or fooling. Audience are not in the same level with the musician. We adjust that. People generally like to hear a song they know already. They dont make a connection with a song they dont know. Audience almost never cares for how difficult or easy a song is. They want to entertain there. But you can be absolutist either if you prefer with more effort and less satisfaction. It depends a lot where do you make music, to what audience.

This is not cheating or fooling. Audience are not in the same level with the musician. We adjust that. People generally like to hear a song they know already. They dont make a connection with a song they dont know. Audience almost never cares for how difficult or easy a song is. They want to entertain there. But you can be absolutist either if you prefer with more effort and less satisfaction. It depends a lot where do you make music, to what audience.
Yeah, the ticket is to mix in songs they don’t know with songs they do. Best of both worlds.

Yeah, the ticket is to mix in songs they don’t know with songs they do. Best of both worlds.
This "business" is to guess the songs, that particular audience knows or get entertained, like a dance. Thats the nature of the job. We are there to make people happy. People will not care about your 1000 repertoire. But thats also possible.

This "business" is to guess the songs, that particular audience knows or get entertained, like a dance. Thats the nature of the job. We are there to make people happy. People will not care about your 1000 repertoire. But thats also possible.
Yup, good part about 1000 songs is you can play a whole different set depending on your audience. I could not do a full old time or jazz set for example.

Yup, good part about 1000 songs is you can play a whole different set depending on your audience. I could not do a full old time or jazz set for example.

... and I have a delightful collection of bawdy medieval ballads, but we're often invited to village carnivals or church fundraisers where they'd be most unsuitable!

In time, you will understand where do you belong with your repertoire. In a concert hall, a cocktail or busking... Buskers here in Turkey even have 1 longer song which resembles a song. Many buskers have not more than 10. But maybe thats what they have or whatever. They dont beg, they eat soup with what they earned. In a violinists gathering, you better dont repeat too much, not to be seen as an amateur. I offered Kalinka here in a wedding entrance music. My friends said thats not suit. People loved it.

I made a lot of music in an art gallery (exhibition openings) and experimented. Some people seated here and there and listened from start to end. Some just heard I assume. These are art enthusiasts and such. Not ordinary public. When you start a song, you get a feedback, a response from the audience. It cant be seen but you will feel it. I had some super songs to my view but they didnt get that response. I ve seen some as not important, but people liked it. I thought why I dont repeat that song again. Concerts doesnt have "bis" which soloists comes and play again? Yes they have. 4 hours, even 3 hours is too much although musicians do. Best is 1 or 2 sessions. 45 minutes play, 15 minutes rest. 30 -15- 30 would be great actually. It all depends.

I made a lot of music in an art gallery (exhibition openings) and experimented. Some people seated here and there and listened from start to end. Some just heard I assume. These are art enthusiasts and such. Not ordinary public. When you start a song, you get a feedback, a response from the audience. It cant be seen but you will feel it. I had some super songs to my view but they didnt get that response. I ve seen some as not important, but people liked it. I thought why I dont repeat that song again. Concerts doesnt have "bis" which soloists comes and play again? Yes they have. 4 hours, even 3 hours is too much although musicians do. Best is 1 or 2 sessions. 45 minutes play, 15 minutes rest. 30 -15- 30 would be great actually. It all depends.
This year my venue is the farmers market, 10 - 15 appearances. I will also do a few other things, where I can play mostly the same. I will do 4 hours, 9:00 - 1:00, taking a few breaks. Yes, the feedback is very important. I can tell which, and which kind of tunes are well received. Mostly up tempo Americana and Old Time. So I do mostly this, and mix in other tunes that I like. I see you do a lot of what I assume are Turkish tunes. I imagine
these are good for your audience.

This year my venue is the farmers market, 10 - 15 appearances. I will also do a few other things, where I can play mostly the same. I will do 4 hours, 9:00 - 1:00, taking a few breaks. Yes, the feedback is very important. I can tell which, and which kind of tunes are well received. Mostly up tempo Americana and Old Time. So I do mostly this, and mix in other tunes that I like. I see you do a lot of what I assume are Turkish tunes. I imagine
these are good for your audience.
Mine is a mix of everything with Turkish tunes. Mostly Russian, light classicals like blue danube and Turkish like Hatirla Sevgili. Easy - intermediate. I started accordion for these. I have already perfected the bassoon and know what it takes. It doesnt worth it in these days. I want to be happy with my music without too much push. Others can think whatever they like. Every country has own populars themselves and taken populars from other countries. We had an old bassoon professor. He was saying, playing a technique piece needs just practice. But to play good an easy piece is harder.

Ok, so it’s April. I’ve organized my book with 43 tunes. Goal is to work on only these and be able to play them pretty much by memory by May 1. I’ve got 10 others I’d like to play, but sidelined until the 43 are down. I can add in others once the markets start. Also considering doing a few on organetto and or concertina (diatonics) to shake things up a bit, give me a small break….

In art, there always be someone better than you. Its about being happy with what you have, while looking for better opportunities. I tell this to everyone.
So true!!!!! *Most* people are better than me, but I can put a mean expression into a simple song and smile all the way to the bank!!!

So true!!!!! *Most* people are better than me, but I can put a mean expression into a simple song and smile all the way to the bank!!!

...and just one more thing, by maximising the use of memory, and putting it into physical form, you are likely staving off the worst symptoms of age-related dementia!
Providing enjoyment for others and enjoying it at the same time is a worthy bonus.
"Gudonya" as they say in this part of the world.
(Translation: "Good on you!")

...and just one more thing, by maximising the use of memory, and putting it into physical form, you are likely staving off the worst symptoms of age-related dementia!
Providing enjoyment for others and enjoying it at the same time is a worthy bonus.
"Gudonya" as they say in this part of the world.
(Translation: "Good on you!")
Thanks so much Ffingers!

You’re so right. As you know, I volunteered at an Alzheimer’s/dementia place and the musicians who still played tapped into a separate memory space. I picture myself sitting and amusing myself for many hours, probably with the same concertina that served the purpose for “Elmer Swenson” as reported by my friend who “rescued” it and passed it to me.

I'm on three now! Tom is right that it gets easier the more I learn. I'm also finding that when I learn a tune on one instrument then I can play it on others! e.g. I learned a tune on treble recorder then played it straight off on mandocello... so thanks for the inspiration Tom!

Four! I signed up for a workshop on Zoom - learning a pice by ear with a folk violinist.

Back