• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

improve sound

I've always imagined Amsterdam as a bit more of an Accordiola and Charron Fres scene.

Reminds me of the erstwhile car stickers (stuck on VW Beetles or Fiat 500 Bambini) saying,
"My other car is a Rolls Royce!"😄

A couple of members at one of my flying clubs in the ‘70s had bumper stickers with
“My other car is a Cessna”

I wondered if they had trouble parking at the grocery store.

(Two of our club planes were Cessnas, one a Aerobat. Fun hobby, provides a different perspective on life.)

JKJ

Try covering the inside grill completely with masking tape, but only leaving a small 10mm strip horizontally in the center, where the pads meet. That would make it VERY WARM, close to cassotto sound. Then test opening up to 15mm, or 20mm, find your sweetspot. After finding the sweetspot, apply coats of spray lacquer on the masking tape and leave it a day to dry. The sound will be louder, and a lot different than the fully open grille sound.

Try covering the inside grill completely with masking tape, but only leaving a small 10mm strip horizontally in the center, where the pads meet. That would make it VERY WARM, close to cassotto sound. Then test opening up to 15mm, or 20mm, find your sweetspot. After finding the sweetspot, apply coats of spray lacquer on the masking tape and leave it a day to dry. The sound will be louder, and a lot different than the fully open grille sound.
Great plan....can you just clarify what you mean by "where the pads meet"...then I'll crack on with the "hotrodding".... appreciated 👍

Great plan....can you just clarify what you mean by "where the pads meet"...then I'll crack on with the "hotrodding".... appreciated 👍
On piano accordions there are two rows of pallets. (One is for most of the white keys, the other for all black keys and the remaining white keys.)
You want to leave a bit of the grille open straight above the virtual line that separates the two rows of pallets.
Obviously when you have a CBA with three rows of pallets this method to determine where to leave a strip open doesn't work...

On piano accordions there are two rows of pallets. (One is for most of the white keys, the other for all black keys and the remaining white keys.)
You want to leave a bit of the grille open straight above the virtual line that separates the two rows of pallets.
Obviously when you have a CBA with three rows of pallets this method to determine where to leave a strip open doesn't work
Just popped the hood and thankfully my CBA is two row set up......needs a good hoovering out mind... don't reckon this has been removed before....🤮

Last edited:
Just beware you don't accidentally Hoover up any loosely attached bits like reeds or valves !🙂😄
I once made the mistake of trying to vacuum the innards of our piano!🤣
I did nothing....
I trust in dust......
Masking tape hot rod mod has worked lovely....
Got a new tiger purring in my tank..

How many layers of masking tape? Not sure how the accordion is louder when you have effectively closed off the grille. Do you need to use lacquer?

Has anyone tried putting a reflective blocker into the grille instead of felt? Like a sheet of very thin plexiglass?
Felt deadens the sound and will probably muffle all of the frequencies, including the middle and the bass. A reflective screen will probably make the sound waves bounce all over the place under the grille, perhaps acting more like a cassotto chamber?

Just a thought.

Hi all

I guess what Marje's instrument would benefit from is a Sordino like the Gola or Excelsior Symphony Gold.
Inspired by what I've seen in a Hohner Atlantic I added a kind of 2nd cassotto to one of my accordions.
Honestly it already is a high-end instrument with 2 chorusses in cassotto - so it wouldn't necessarily have needed any upgrade.
To make it sounding even more mellow I added this "cassotto" made from cardboard.
It opens up to the higher tones to not damp them too much - especially to let the 4" tones pass w/o attenuation - but still enough to make the tremolo (which already is a dry tuning) even more mellow as it softens a bit the 2nd 8" a cassotto chorus.
I don't dare to say it's like a Gola with closed Sordino but some other accordionists like it very much when they here it.
"This is no longer sound - this is warmth radiation what comes out of your instrument"

It perfectly fits under the treble cover - you won't notice it from outside - and doesn't need any modification of the instrument - no screws, holes etc.
If you take it out the instrument is in its original condition.

IMG_7385.jpeg

IMG_7387.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi all

I guess what Marje's instrument would benefit from is a Sordino like the Gola or Excelsior Symphony Gold.
Inspired by what I've seen in a Hohner Atlantic I added a kind of 2nd cassotto to one of my accordions.
That is a very nice construction. I must try this on my bayan! But I will not do the cutout at the high notes because the piccolo reeds are already very loud and sharp (too loud and sharp for my taste). It reminds me of the similar construction others made with radiator foil taped to the inside of the grille, but this new idea is easily removable whereas the foil isn't.

“This is no longer sound - this is warmth radiation what comes out of your instrument"

❤️❤️❤️

Back