• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Korg FISA SUPREMA

For me personally, and I've been playing reedless for 30 years:

Weight
Headphones
MIDI connectivity
Maintenance

Those are the main selling points of a digital reedless accordion for me personally. I am in no way against all of the myriad bells and whistles. Layering a strings sound over some of the accordion parts is nice. A quiet mandolin doubling an accordion treble playing is nice. And I really like the Korg chord hold for the bass side allowing very arranger-like drums and chords feature. I've never gotten along with the drum sounds on the FR-8X and rarely use them. I think I'd really dive into the Korg's abilities in that area.

I know I'm an outlier, but those are my opinions.
Wow! Your answer made it totally opposite to [my understanding of] you first post.
Now we are talking to a 30-years strong veteran of the non-acoustic accordion.
One point where we are not yet in sync: I see the digital accordion like Roland, Korg, etc. as a different instrument of the same shape. Much like electric guitar vs. acoustic guitar despite the same 6 strings.

A lot of it has to do with where we grew up with the accordion and what we played when we were younger.

I'm mid-50's now and have been playing since around 8 or 9. I'm from an Italian community with dozens of extremely good players and hundreds of hobbyists. Back in my hometown nobody uses a digital accordion. I've never seen a video of one of them playing a digital accordion and never seen them in person with one. It's just not something of any apparent value to them. Big Italian dances and weddings and it's always just an acoustic accordion or two.

I grew up on the Cordovox. We bought one around 1983 and I played hundreds of gigs with it in my late teens and twenties. With the Cordovox the accordion is the primary sound, with the famous Organ underlying the tone very prevalent. You could mute the right hand accordion sound but I never saw anybody do that. So to me it's always been primarily the accordion sounds with a tasteful layering of organ underneath.

One thing that never left me from the Cordovox days is that marvelous string bass. For the prevalent walking bass lines on 60% of the songs I play it's incredible. I use a similar sound with an Upright Bass or String Bass Guitar on my FR-8X. I rarely use the accordion bass sounds, so I guess I'm not a purist! It's just something I've been around for 40 years and I like it a lot.

I personally don't consider Reedless and Acoustic different instruments. If somebody comes over and asks me to play them an accordion song I'll grab either. I have them both out of their cases and sitting next to each other. The vast majority of people that listen are more intrigued by the fact it's an accordion than what type it is. I don't think they'd even care if I told them.

A lot of members on this site won't ever even visit the Digital Accordion subforum. It's of no interest to them and never will be. I've been using electronic accordions (other than counting simple amplification) for 40 years. I love the tech and love when new things are released.

Sometimes on the Internet you can be genuinely interested and note some points that are important to you and somebody will call you a Hater. Then the next guy sees only that Hater reply and the next time you post it compounds with things like "Why even bother to be here if you hate it so much" and blah blah blah. This site thankfully is very, very mild and most people really want to help and are genuinely all concerned with preserving the accordion as an instrument and the accordion community. Let's be honest, there aren't many of us left!

Ideally for me the new Korg would have incredible bellows control, fantastic accordion registers, arranger-like capability on the left hand side, and a really nice string bass. A couple organs to layer, maybe some strings, and that's it. It wouldn't even need aftertouch. And without all the bells and whistles it would be maybe $4000. For the next guy it may not have enough non-accordion sounds and they may want more buttons for easy access to the orchestration and a large touchscreen.

So that's Korg's dilemma. They need to make an accordion to hopefully keep everybody happy - especially with those that already own an FR-8X that is perfectly serviceable. And I think they're doing a really good job of it.

I'll continue following this thread with interest.

A lot of it has to do with where we grew up with the accordion and what we played when we were younger.
playing 1000's of gigs partly as a teen with my own Rock band,
and mostly as the gunslinger for 100's of local semi-pro
bands who worked day jobs but had their contacts and
practiced together maybe with a Piano player for some steady
work, but needed a "Box Man" for weddings and such

as long as you knew your Fake Book #1 you could call sets
for any pick-up band of this type and no-one in the audience
ever knew you had all just met for the first time out in the
parking lot
I grew up on the Cordovox. We bought one around 1983 and I played hundreds of gigs with it in my late teens and twenties. With the Cordovox the accordion is the primary sound, with the famous Organ underlying the tone very prevalent. You could mute the right hand accordion sound but I never saw anybody do that. So to me it's always been primarily the accordion sounds with a tasteful layering of organ underneath.
the Cordovox i started with was the tube job, and it was reliable
rugged bad-ass amazing power that could compete with the Guitar.and
thats right, never muted the right hand reeds, just use the Organ
underlayer and swell in the reeds with the Bellows for emphasis
or feather your squeeze and kick the Gas (Volume) Pedal to the floor
when needed
One thing that never left me from the Cordovox days is that marvelous string bass. For the prevalent walking bass lines on 60% of the songs I play it's incredible.
yep.. for us when people wanna learn how to play Accordion bass
we usually give them a Mel Bay Bass book because we never play
left hand like an accordion player.. ever.. we play like a Bass player
because we had that fat fundamental everything can ride on top of
Bass sound and modern "motion" of the notes.. nothing even resembling
"oom-paa" because our left hand is part of the Rhythm section,
part of the hook, part of the foundation of the song..

an example would be Sinatra's Angel Eyes.. i sang an entire chorus
over just the Bass line before i ever touch a key with my right hand,
and then i just add chord hits, counterpoints, etc. on the right..
that big fat huge Bass enables the entire song/performance..

it was the first thing i had to figure out how to re-create with a
MIDI accordion, and i ended up blending a fretless bass at about half
volume an octave lower with a String bass on the mark, and they
evolved differently over time which added a subtle bit of motion
to the final sound.. one synth in my rack was dedicated to this
sound alone.

i tried all the Bass synths over the years.. the 160, the Peavey Bass,
that little Alesis, but none of them could beat my Cordovox Bass
or my imitation of it using a Sound Canvas
I personally don't consider Reedless and Acoustic different instruments. If somebody comes over and asks me to play them an accordion song I'll grab either. I have them both out of their cases and sitting next to each other. The vast majority of people that listen are more intrigued by the fact it's an accordion than what type it is. I don't think they'd even care if I told them.
it is up to us to choose and use what works best, and our obligation to
do it in a way that makes "sense" to the eye and ear of the beholder
so that they are comfortable and can enjoy it without straining their brain..

Ideally for me the new Korg would have incredible bellows control, fantastic accordion registers, arranger-like capability on the left hand side, and a really nice string bass. A couple organs to layer, maybe some strings, and that's it.
actually MY ideal digital would simply be
(now that the Bluetooth technology has matured)
to have any old Digital Accordion with an accompanying
real time full time wireless Volume Pedal that controls all
the treble and chord orchestral/organ voices but leaves the
accordion reed sounds completely alone so that the box
"squeezes" like any old acoustic/electric accordion would,
and therefore would act/play like a Cordovox, Elkavox, Duovox,
Farfisa Syntaccordion, etc.

the problem with Digital Accordion has always been
the Tokyo at Night disconnect and the somewhat unnatural way
they must be approached

unless you come at it not as an old-school accordion player,
but an accordionist who switched to Keys for decades and
only now is switching back because it can do what the other
keyboards can do (in contrast to doing what accordions do)

it is a bit more than that, you recall i mentioned an ELKA
personal connection to the FR7, that was Bruti as well..

but the really significant thing was Bruti's name is on the
patents Roland had to license for the V-Accordion project..

Korg Italy SpA, VIA CAGIATA 85 OSIMO AN 60027 IT

soooooo as i understood it, for a time, partly because of Covid, Proel
dis-associated themselves from Mr. Bruti, and he went into retirement.
prior to this in 2015, Proel had bought out the Roland Europe assets
and location in Italy where they had their manufacturing and R&D,
(the old SIEL factory) they also hired some of Roland's workforce.
and it was at that time the DEXIBELL brand was brought into existence
by PROEL.

Proel has significant assets in North America, warehouses, logistics, distribution,
a powerful sales force, and has Sweetwater as a major client. It is a powerful and
healthy organization. big in the pro-sound sector..

korgusa.com
316 S Service Rd, Melville, NY 11747
is of course also still in existence, dating back to the time of Mr. Kato
and the Rhythm machines and those little PA systems and the funny
little monophonic keyboard with the reverse colored keys, all of
which i still have relics of in my Studio..

personally, i feel that KORG has kept the spirit of Kato far more
honorably than Roland has regarding Mr. Kakehashi, so i would
get on board with this, having a long history of trusting KORG.
(i still have the first DW-8000 released for sale in the USA
that i had pre-ordered the day it was announced at NAMM

A history lesson in every one of you posts!!!!

Today I learned....

Ventura can sing! Something I've never been able to do - much less while playing.

Appreciate your response, Ventura. I enjoyed it all.

(Sold my Cordovox 5 years ago to a NON-PLAYER....I don't regret it because it just took up too much room and was a ticking time bomb. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss it!)

and it was reliable
rugged bad-ass amazing power
LOL!

I had the single massive tube amplifier model, not the dual smaller amp setup. I'd haul that thing up steps and NOT GINGERLY. I'd grab that massive metal full-width silver handle and thump, thump, thump up and down the stairs. For years. I'd throw it in the back of our truck. I'd set it near the tailgate, climb up, grab that handle with two hands and BOOM yank it into the bed and then shove it to the back. It never, ever, failed me. Years later I would connect it every now and then and marvel at the solid construction and reliability. I just have a feeling if I dropped my FR-8X from one foot I'd have some serious issues.

Those were the days.

LOL!

I had the single massive tube amplifier model, not the dual smaller amp setup. I'd haul that thing up steps and NOT GINGERLY. I'd grab that massive metal full-width silver handle and thump, thump, thump up and down the stairs. For years. I'd throw it in the back of our truck. I'd set it near the tailgate, climb up, grab that handle with two hands and BOOM yank it into the bed and then shove it to the back. It never, ever, failed me. Years later I would connect it every now and then and marvel at the solid construction and reliability. I just have a feeling if I dropped my FR-8X from one foot I'd have some serious issues.

Those were the days.
I had the more “modern” CG-4 with transistors! The abuse that thing went through - stuff that I would never dream of doing to my accordions today. It had two built-in rear wheels and I would roll it up and down hills and steps galore!
I certainly don’t miss those days!!

I had the more “modern” CG-4 with transistors! The abuse that thing went through - stuff that I would never dream of doing to my accordions today. It had two built-in rear wheels and I would roll it up and down hills and steps galore!
I certainly don’t miss those days!!
Those power transistors were always a pain. I remember them going out on a gig. Replaced several until I found a set that could handle more current. At that time performing 6- 7 gigs a week.

Those power transistors were always a pain. I remember them going out on a gig. Replaced several until I found a set that could handle more current. At that time performing 6- 7 gigs a week.
In my experience with old amps, power transistors like the 2N3055 die slowly enough that they essentially lose current amplification until their driver transistors blow because they need to take over too much of the workload.

I don’t miss those days at all. My next move was the Iorio Syntara, which was really produced by Elka on a SEM accordion. It served me well. At times I would add various modules and effects. After that I split my musical self between electronic keyboards and acoustic accordions. No more electronic accordions at all. In fact I sold my last professional keyboard to a student years ago, so it’s just acoustic accordions.

I don’t miss those days at all. My next move was the Iorio Syntara, which was really produced by Elka on a SEM accordion. It served me well. At times I would add various modules and effects. After that I split my musical self between electronic keyboards and acoustic accordions. No more electronic accordions at all. In fact I sold my last professional keyboard to a student years ago, so it’s just acoustic accordions.
# Me too and loving it.

Last edited:
I don't think I could ever not have a digital accordion, acoustic accordion and high-end keyboard workstation. I upgrade my keyboard about once every 10 years and just upgraded it most recently in January. I play the piano every other day and I love tinkering with the analog and orchestral sounds while sequencing on the fly with added drum patterns.

I also don't really have a space where I could play acoustic accordion any time I wanted without bothering somebody in the house. For that alone, the digital accordion is a must-have.

I don't think I could ever not have a digital accordion, acoustic accordion and high-end keyboard workstation.

I also don't really have a space where I could play acoustic accordion any time I wanted without bothering somebody in the house. For that alone, the digital accordion is a must-have.
Not including the keyboard workstation, I am the same. I've had electronic/digital accordions since the early 80's as well as acoustics. Each has it's charms and value that the other doesn't have, so having both is for me the best of all worlds.

As far as places to play, I am blessed to have an entire basement as my toy box and can play anything anytime without disturbing a soul... my achilles heel is (besides age creeping up on me), having the time to play. Not many feel like putting on an accordion after working 10 hour shifts. :)

The deterrent for me regarding the KORG isn't the accordion or orchestral sounds—which I find fairly impressive—but rather the £6500 price tag. That amount could be allocated to numerous other investments that would be more beneficial to my family and me in the longer term.
Like my late mom used to say: "People have money for what they want" 😊 The price might seem high but it is in line with high-end acoustic instruments, and digital models from other makers. Besides, you buy a lot more than an accordion with that sum!

If all you need is perfect copy of an acoustic accordion sound, better get to the source. Digital should be and already becomes a different instrument.

You are missing the point! 😊 I am not looking for a perfect copy of an accordion sound. I have acoustic instruments for the original sound when I want it. Otherwise I am using an accordion-like instrument with added features! And I can use my skills of playing the accordion instead of mastering another instrument.

I do recordings, it's a breeze with a digital. Plug it to the board and mix. For gigging, unless you have an accordion with internal mics, getting a good sound from an acoustic while playing in a band is a real challenge. With a digital, just plug to the P/A and play. And as others have said, practicing at 3:00AM isn't a problem with a digital. And the list goes on.

Try one and let us know :cool:

Back