• If you haven't done so already, please add a location to your profile. This helps when people are trying to assist you, suggest resources, etc. Thanks (Click the "X" to the top right of this message to disable it)

Scandalli Super VI Barn find.

Hi, waiting for restoration. The workshop has been crazy busy with some big jobs. Exciting and very happy customers. Once there is a bit more time, Tony will start on it.
We contacted Scandali direct and got a form letter reply. So then I sent some photos and got exactly the same reply. Basically Nada, they didn't seam interested. I got the impression that no one really even looked at it.
We will let you know when work starts on it. We have found a professional player who will do a video when it is completed. 🙂
Italian accordion companies are notoriously inefficient/lackadaisical with respect to their approach to paperwork/information on their product... However, this seems to be such a unique instrument I feel sure the current Scandalli President would be very interested...perhaps try a personal email, addressed directly to Mirco Patarini and see what response you may get? If none, please let me know and I'll fill him in on his personal account...No promises, but I'd be surprised if he doesn't want to know more.

I did wonder about that. I actually sent my email twice (two different email addresses) hoping someone else would get the second one. I will see if i can contact him directly. Thanks for your encouragement. I will contact you if no luck.

A few days ago I picked up a case, it smelled BAD, only use I saw for it was as a torture device… lol

I had nothing to lose so first thing I did was have me and my mom smell it and give it a rating. I then LITERALLY took my power washer, used a softer nozzle and sprayed, soaped (using car grade soap with degreaser!), scrubbed with a brush, rinse it, smelled it again, another dosing of higher pressure water and more soap, another bigger more intense scrubbing and finished off with a big rinsing and removing most of the water using an extractor that I use to suck/vacuum out water from my car’s carpets… 50% improvement in 30 minutes.

I’ve left it outside in the sun when it wasn’t raining now about 3 days, but when it rains, brought it in, closed it after tossing in 6 of those dryer sheets in it and putting it out every chance I get.

It’s down to about 25% of being as bad as it was, but I feel it will take a long time to get that last 25% out, if ever… work in progress. :)

I then LITERALLY took my power washer, used a softer nozzle and sprayed, soaped (using car grade soap with degreaser!), scrubbed with a brush, rinse it, smelled it again, another dosing of higher pressure water and more soap, another bigger more intense scrubbing and finished off with a big rinsing and removing most of the water using an extractor
Sounds like "the Smelly car" episode in Seinfeld!😄
See here:

A few days ago I picked up a case, it smelled BAD, only use I saw for it was as a torture device… lol

It’s down to about 25% of being as bad as it was, but I feel it will take a long time to get that last 25% out, if ever… work in progress. :)
Good to hear that some progress is possible. When it's completely dry it may be worth trying 1) putting a bag of baking soda in the case and let it soak up smells for a month or so. Then perhaps 2) repeating this with ground coffee. I heard a recommendation to use spent ground coffee, not because it has already done what it was intended for (brew coffee) but because it is more ready to absorb a new smell than fresh ground coffee. And after all of that maybe 3) spray the inside with a fabric freshener (Febreze or something).

Good to hear that some progress is possible. When it's completely dry it may be worth trying 1) putting a bag of baking soda in the case and let it soak up smells for a month or so. Then perhaps 2) repeating this with ground coffee. I heard a recommendation to use spent ground coffee, not because it has already done what it was intended for (brew coffee) but because it is more ready to absorb a new smell than fresh ground coffee. And after all of that maybe 3) spray the inside with a fabric freshener (Febreze or something).
I think that some mold had to have been under the interior felt covering, soaking it up with baking soda would not directly get rid of the source of the issue, but it may be used later on near the end where only a bit of the smell is left over. I'll give it another good soaking or really what I have found that gives visible improvements it letting it sit in the sun on my patio at the back of the house.

Used grains of coffee... hmmmm, maybe not in this case, especially "used" coffee grounds, as it has it's own smells but more importantly, it may stain the case.

Back